Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Outback, 4 cylinder, LL Bean Edition., 53K miles. About a month ago I started smelling something and took my car in and had a front axle leak that they replaced. Once I got the car back, however, I noticed a vibration that was not there before I took it in. It's especially noticeable when I'm in idle. I took it back in to the dealership and they replaced all my spark plugs and wires. I got the car back and it was still vibrating. So, I took it back in and they said it was the fuel injection, they cleaned that out, and it's still vibrating. The dealership has no solution, and now I just noticed that I'm getting horrible gas mileage, whereas I used to get 24/28, now I'm getting 22/24.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? My dealership and their top mechanic say they don't know what's wrong, and that's after sinking close to $1K. Their proposed solution is to use higher octane gas, which I've tried to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
What brand axle was used?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
This is a classic problem with after market axles. You need a Subaru remanufactured axle installed, not the cheap POS they put in there. Search around on the forum for CV vibration and you will see a lot of issues with this.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
^^^ NOPE.

That is exactly what happens with an aftermarket axle in our vehicles.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I won't argue the point because I'm pretty new to Subaru but I spent 12 years as an ASE Master Tech. I've never seen an axle cause a vibration while idling.

(especially when mpg fall-off is another symptom)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
mpg fall off is a red herring most likely with the cool fall weather or some issue.

The vibration in gear at idle is the tell-tale sign of the bad axle as others have said. Not sure why, but so many others have had the same issue.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I won't argue the point because I'm pretty new to Subaru but I spent 12 years as an ASE Master Tech. I've never seen an axle cause a vibration while idling.

I said the same thing years ago then a friend had it. The axle doesn't fit snug and chatters in the socket persay while the car is sitting still. Yes cheap ass knock off aftermarket axle was the cause. He could have simply rebooted the original but the shop charged him a pretty steep price to replace the axle with a cheaper non oem axle and they sent in his oem core for a good core price.

The only person who made out on that deal was the shop owner.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts

Welcome to owning a Subaru. Search the forum here for vibration after replacing axle. Been there, done that on my own vehicle before I knew better. Don't know what it is, but something makes it shake like crazy while in gear at idle.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
hmmm...wonder if this could be due to the 'symmetrical' part of symmetrical all wheel drive?

Would any other FWD automatic cars have the same plane of engine vibration and equal length/mass drive shafts up front?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a 2008 outback 2.5 llbean edition. I just got my axles replaced and I noticed the vibration in idle immediately... This shop said it was the motor mount... I am going to get that changed today. The shop normally uses quality parts so I hope it really is just the motor mount

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
JD Jones
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing