Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that the suspension on my outback is little unlevel.

This is Back Drivers Side

Front Drivers Side

Front Pass Side

Rear Pass Side

What would cause this.. its setting on our driveway on level ground and its empty nothing in the car. I like to get more ground clearnace out of the front.. every time i hit a deep dip in the road it seems like its bottoming out or rubbing on something. not sure why there is 1" different between the back two sides.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
The fronts appear close, is this true? Some generations of wagons (or all?) have issues with the rear suspension sag, due to springs aging. You may just need new springs out back. You could also have a sticky strut.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fronts appear close, is this true? Some generations of wagons (or all?) have issues with the rear suspension sag, due to springs aging. You may just need new springs out back. You could also have a sticky strut.
not sure.. i just got this outback end of last month. I am thinking on doing a 1" front lift.. to level it off or half inch lift.. I hate how it drags the road or something bottoming out when hitting a dip in the road.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,312 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts here:

Only one primary rider, the driver.
The car has quite a few miles on it?
Driver's weight was over 200.

The left front spring is weaker than the rest. If you are raising it and installing new springs it will level out. Be sure to align it afterword.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
2008 it is still a bit new for needing struts. How many miles. How bad are the roads.

Struts are not like shocks. Struts do support some of the car, where shocks were just there to control the bounce.

Possibly you may have a broken spring too.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am the 3rd owner and not sure how well the car was taken care of before i got it. It has 68K miles I was thinking on doing a 1" lift in the front to level it out.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Measuring to the top of the tire isn't ideal as the tire can introduce differences.

The height is supposed to be measured from the center of the axle to the lower edge of the wheel opening. This measures how high the suspension is holding the car, without the tire being involved.

The FSM has a spec for this height, and the tolerances, which are quite wide. (~1.5 inches.) See attached, which is for the 2008, I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I also noticed that your front passenger side tire is different then the other 3. Since Subaru's are AWD the tires should all be the same brand. They are fairly low on tread, so you may want consider replacing them as well.. or replace the one thats different with a tire that is of the same tread depth and brand as the others..

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also noticed that your front passenger side tire is different then the other 3. Since Subaru's are AWD the tires should all be the same brand. They are fairly low on thread, so you may want consider replacing them as well.. or replace the one thats different with a tire that is of the same tread depth and brand as the othesr..
Yes it is different it was like that when i got it couple of weeks ago.. Waiting for my tax return to get new tires. They are all about the same tread depth now. all are about bald : (

1 - 9 of 9 Posts