Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,
I just inherited an Outback 2008 with 125,000miles on it. I have heard that I should have the Timeing belt replace right away. Is this true?? Do they break frequently? Any and all advice welcome..
Thanks in advance
Sonny 32

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good day all,
I just inherited an Outback 2008 with 125,000miles on it. I have heard that I should have the Timeing belt replace right away. Is this true?? Do they break frequently? Any and all advice welcome..
Thanks in advance
Sonny 32
What engine is this? A 2.5 or 3.0? Only the 2.5 has a timing belt. If the timing belt has not been replaced, yes, you should have this done immediately. If it were me, I wouldn't be driving it all until the belt is replaced. While they're doing that, have them check the head gaskets as well. These are common issues on the 2.5 engines.

Do you have any maintenance history on this car? It may be wise to do all service at once to get it back to zero miles in terms of service. This would include doing transmission fluid change, differential gear oil changes, power steering fluid change, brake fluid flush, check CV boots, etc.

- Jeremy.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
And don't just change the belt.

Belt, ALL pulleys/tensioners, water pump at a minimum. Suggest crank and cam seals, resealing oil pump as well.

These are interference engines, a broken belt will leave you with a nice pile of scrap under the hood.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just inherited an Outback 2008 with 125,000miles on it.
So, you should have some kind of access to its maintenance history...? Get as much of it as you can acquire (receipts, invoices, accessory manuals, etc), and go through it to see what major work has been done. Record all the significant stuff like fluid changes, spark plugs, belts, alignments, brake pads, tires, etc for future reference.

If it has a four cylinder, and the belt has never been done, consider yourself to be driving a hand grenade with the pin pulled. It's not an item you can defer for a week or a month. I don't suggest that you have it towed to the shop, driving it is OK, but OTH, don't be driving it around for no reason until this gets taken care of. Or you find out it isn't needed.

What kind of shape is the car in cosmetically? That is a ton of miles for an '08.

Welcome to the forums!

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies,,, The car looks good, seems to run good but the battery is kinda weak. I am not sure if I can find any of the old repair papers. If the car was taken in for routine maintenence would the dealer have the records on computer??
Thanks
Sonny32

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
all good suggestions

the issue is the timing belt change 'should' have been done at 105,000 (or before)

don't trust an inspection "duh, there's no teeth missing on the belt so, it's good" - assume you need it NOW unless you find trustworthy documentation it was done.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Yes they do break and your car will incur valve damage, minimum $1,500 repair, if not $2,000+ to replace bent valves. your valves will strike the pistons, fortunately on these only the valves bend, the pistons would be fine.

Yes - you should replace the timing belt. Best to buy an ebay kit and replace all the pulleys and tensioner as well - then you're good for another 100,000 miles. this is what you want:

Gates TCK307 Timing Belt Kit | eBay

best to get it off ebay since they're extremely expensive anywhere else. over twice as much from Subaru for those components.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Amazon also has excellent prices on the kits (slightly better than what I could find on ebay for my TCKWP328 kit I needed when shipping was included).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
tdelker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing