Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 outback xt with an automatic transmission with about 170k miles on it and when driving, occasionally the engine lugs itself and I have to give it a bit more gas so that it will either downshift or accelerate more. It is similar to driving a manual and being in too high of a gear and giving it gas and it just lugs the engine. Does anybody know what this could be caused from? Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
2006, Outback XT, 2.5 DOHC Turbo
181 Posts
I have a 2008 outback xt with an automatic transmission with about 170k miles on it and when driving, occasionally the engine lugs itself and I have to give it a bit more gas so that it will either downshift or accelerate more. It is similar to driving a manual and being in too high of a gear and giving it gas and it just lugs the engine. Does anybody know what this could be caused from? Let me know if you need more info.
From what I've read that's normal. A transmission tune can help that. Any other symptoms?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,142 Posts
Does you car have a Normal and Sport Mode? I never drive in normal, the downshift rpms are way to low vs pedal angle. Drives me nuts. The stock thottle map is designed for as much efficiency as possible. I wonder if it might be spark plug related? Any idea of the condition of the plugs?

I exclusively drive in sport mode I have XRT tunes on both my cars and a tune can definitely help with transmission performance.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...rations-performance-xtreme-racing-tuning.html

1st things 1st tho, what is the level and condition of the fluid? Do a 4 qt drain and fill and check the color and condition. You may want to do another drain and fill in few hundred miles if the fluid is particularly bad.

·
Registered
. . Current daily driver is a 2017 Outback.
50 Posts
. . How long has it been doing this? ? Has the turbo ever been replaced? ? My first thought was possibly the first signs of a turbo failure. . Since you didn't mention any CEL I assume the plugs and wires are in good condition. .

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
In normal mode it will resist downshifting. That "lingering lugging" is the machine winning back some MPG for you, until you cross a deeper threshold on the pedal.

Some will do it worse than others- the TCU has learning logic and can sometimes learn bad shifting habits. That said, you'll find it resisting downshifts even when everything is within normal ranges.

Sport mode lets the tach fly, and well, you know the rest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about the late replay school demanded its attention. Anyways I have learned to just drive in sport mode rather than intelligent mode. Much better, but it still does it a little sometimes. Another big transmission problem I have is that it shifts really hard. Especially when coming to a stop it will downshift really hard and jolt. Not sure what that could be if that's even a problem is normal. Never had it happen in any other car. Thanks for the advice.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,142 Posts
That's the torque converter at the same time as a downshift...

A fluid swap and an XRT tune can fix up up...assuming your TQ is fine and just slamming like the rest of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts