Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My daughter needed to have her front bumper cover worked on. The body shop used color code CZ3, a two tone blue (64Z) and silver (A7K). The fresh bumper paint does not match, not even close! The older plastic trim appears to be more gold, NOT silver.

Were there more color options available, like Harvest Gold Metalic (A9K) for the trim? Or did the repair shop just do a lousy job of mixing? I like the new silver color, but I am not about to paint the rest of the trim to match.

Sorry, this is a 2008.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
what is the regular color of the upper part of your car?

if you scroll down to the bottom of this you can see the basic US spec offerings of 2008 as listed in the sales fliers at the time.

I have read of variations on that though, like sales flyers/ booklets printed in 2007, but in production there are more choices or randomness in the cars coming out of the plant.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2008.html

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The color code for the 2008 OB is CZ3. According the chart, that is 64Z and A7K. But the A7K is too silver and the other plastic trim appears to be more of a gold color.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
Is the paint elsewhere on the car factory original, or could it have been repainted at some time?

Most automotive paint suppliers provide premixed colors according to Subaru (and other makes) codes/specs. Body shops rarely mix their own, although some might have the capability (e.g. coloring material). Can you find out if the shop used premix based on the color codes, or mixed their own?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The paint was supplied by Subaru. The rest of the car is original paint. LOL, when the shop asked the dealer for paint, they sent him 12 rattle cans!!

The new paint seems to be A7K, the mud flaps are this color. The rest of the trim???

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts
I kind of wish when a body shop is painting some smart person there says "stop, put down the paint sprayer,

and lets think this over / call the customer and tell them we have a problem here on the color and have to do some matching again."

_

typically paint fades with age / sunlight.

I wonder if this is a alteration on date of the factory paint. light silver is the listed color, and yours was painted on a day when the paint supplier gave subaru a darker variety.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
What's the build date (M/Y)? (Should be on a door label.) Could it be close to a model year change?

(I understand the car is a 2008.)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts
whoops some places like the title say 2009 other places 2008 ? ( I can correct all that).

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone sideswiped the car in Cleveland. The sticker with the build date no longer exists. It was a very good body shop, matching both paints exactly.

It is a 2008. I couldn't change the heading in edit mode.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They used A7K, as per code. I am leaving town for a week and scheduled to bring it back in 2 weeks. It looks like sh*t. Hard to notice from 30 feet, but in indirect light at 5 feet?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My real question for you folks: Anyone else have a 2008 blue Outback with Harvest gold (A9K) plastic trim?

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
Well, if they're going to have a go at it again, then at least that's moving forward.

I was looking at my 07 when it was parked this morning, and I was sure there was a similar difference between the front bumper and the trim around the wheel well opening. I looked at both sides. I've never noticed this before that I can recall, I've owned the car from new, and these parts are factory original. I could only conclude that it's the way the light was hitting it (there might have some reflection from a nearby building), and perhaps, there's a difference in the substrate. I'm fairly sure the bumper cover is made of a black material, whereas the side trim pieces might be different. If that's the case, then again, depending on the lighting, it could lead to differences in how our eyes perceive the colors. Not saying that this is your situation, but I was taken aback when I purposely looked at my car with your's in mind.

Please let us know how it works out when you're back.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts
They used A7K, as per code. I am leaving town for a week and scheduled to bring it back in 2 weeks. It looks like sh*t. Hard to notice from 30 feet, but in indirect light at 5 feet?
from looking at the pics of the colors on the bottom of this cars101 page,

2008 Subaru Outback research site: prices, options, what's new this year, colors, specs, photos and more

it looks like your real accent color from the factory is the dark " Diamond grey metallic = DGR" vs. the lighter "quarts silver = SLQ" they used.

and you can see the 2 paints in a single image cars101 2008 image described as
"diamond gray, quartz silver accent available only on LL Bean Outback"

so I guess if they respray the bumper with the darker "DGR" it should match.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
resolved

Third time was a success. The paint was supplied by a Subaru "expert", who also supplied the first two attempts. This last time, the body shop told me he was going to 'feather' the paint into the fender trim. I can no longer see the difference from the original paint, sunlight no longer makes a difference.

The bottle of touch up paint is still much too dark, $20 wasted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts