Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 3.0 LL Bean Edtion
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I'm new to the group but I have a question... have the opportunity to pick up this vehicle for 500 dollars with a possible blown head gasket. My question is if the vehicle is in decent condition with not much rust and brand new tires. Would be it worth it to buy this vehicle and just replace the gaskets? I figure with the brand new tires and the possible body parts that worse case I lose a couple hundred bucks and some of my time if I give up and just scrap it. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
I would think someone ran it out of coolant, as the engine is not known to have Head gasket problems.

like any other subaru 6 cylinder: look to replace the 3.6 engine vs. fixing the head gaskets.
(time consuming, and may not turn out even under expert hands, ...= not easy and fast like H4 2.5 sohc )

here are the original specs on it:

know that tribeca are kind of thirsty in the stop and go,

but confirm it "needs" head gaskets, vs. just a coolant flush, new rad hoses, new OEM rad cap, new OEM thermostat.

I don't have expericne typing of EZ36, but EZ30 seem to pump exhaust gases into the coolant overflow bottle. (but EZ are pretty trouble free, vs. the EJ,...and you won't find many posts about head gaskets on the great EZ36. )

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I would swap in a JDM EZ3.6 rather than do the Head Gaskets. There are a couple of threads on H6 Head Gaskets but not everyone changes them

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys sorry for my absence...life kind of got in the way lol. thank you guys for the awesome replies! I’m still in contact with the person selling the Tribeca. I was able to get a little more info but not much more at all. They said "it started running rough and I’m pretty sure there’s water in the oil" I asked if they pulled over and had it towed and they yes and that’s pretty much all the other info I had left.

I would prefer to just swap the motor and be done with it. I’ve never actually done head gaskets on a Subaru but @eagleeye has me thinking about the cooling system flush but then again the sellers comment about being "pretty sure" there is coolant in the oil. if necessary does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable jdm dealer. I purchased a 3.0H6 for an outback I picked up a little while ago but have yet to inspect it so I’m not sure how good it is.

I’m going to take a look at it this weekend hopefully. I am going to give a good once over and see if its useable. too bad I could swap the tires to my outback lol. Thanks again for all the awesome replies!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
beware there are 2 types of 3.0. and they are not the same animal to mix and match. (2 different engines, with 2 different transmissions)

in US spec #s 2001-2004 212hp with metal intake. (used in JDM 99-02)

and the later US spec 2005-2009 250hp with plastic intake. (JDM from 2003 - 2008 ? ) ...north american sometimes call this the EZ30R. (when it would actually be the EZ30D phase 2), also found in early tribeca "b9"
____

where are you located? it would be nice if you could take a inspection cam and look down the plug holes before putting the money on the counter at a local JDM dealer.
vs. paying sight unseen, and getting something shipped to you and then trying to get money back, or another.

I live in the northeast and can drive to a couple around NYC / NJ. (none that I can recommend,...but others on here have had good experiences buying EZ30D / EZ30R

If I were to be fixing one I might consider a engine from rear end wrecked tribeca. of similar year.
(like with pictures confirming it is a rear end wreck :cool:,...and not some flood car engine :eek:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
@eagleeye you got me thinking now. I'm gonna go off-topic for a sec.... I'm going to be doing an engine swap in a 06 outback ll bean the current motor is listed as 3.0r...actually it says 3.0-L H-6 DOHC 24V is that the EZ30R because that's what I have sitting in my warehouse at work JDM EZ30R lol I hope I didn't buy the wrong motor.

Back to the Tribeca. The one that I am looking at has a 3.6 in it or at least that's what I was told. I'm not sure what type it is though. I'm still kind of on the fence about it because they sent me pictures of the interior and the outside all around but not the dash...

I am located in Vermont currently. It's funny that you mention a camera because I actually ordered one last night for that very reason. I need to inspect my engine sitting at work I've been slacking and its been there almost 2 weeks.

I've been searching copart to find some wrecks as well. Being in Vermont I may be able to find an afford USDM instead of a JDM for the right price.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
@eagleeye you got me thinking now. I'm gonna go off-topic for a sec.... I'm going to be doing an engine swap in a 06 outback ll bean the current motor is listed as 3.0r...actually it says 3.0-L H-6 DOHC 24V is that the EZ30R because that's what I have sitting in my warehouse at work JDM EZ30R lol I hope I didn't buy the wrong motor.

Back to the Tribeca. The one that I am looking at has a 3.5 in it or at least that's what I was told. I'm not sure what type it is though. I'm still kind of on the fence about it because they sent me pictures of the interior and the outside all around but not the dash...

I am located in Vermont currently. It's funny that you mention a camera because I actually ordered one last night for that very reason. I need to inspect my engine sitting at work I've been slacking and its been there almost 2 weeks.

I've been searching copart to find some wrecks as well. Being in Vermont I may be able to find an afford USDM instead of a JDM for the right price.
EZ30 with metal intake = 212hp (JDM importers want $700-900 for them)
EZ30 with plastic intake = 250hp. (JDM importers want $1200-1500 for them)

Copart seems to always have lots of tribeca.
and you being in subaru loving vermont / new england you might find some nice prospects here and there too,

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
here is a good prospect ( seems tricia = tribeca in this local)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the one with the plastic intake at the warehouse as well as in my outback and I actually paid 1100 for it so that's pretty much on track then I guess. I was actually using Auto Tempest and i found that Tribeca on craigslist. Hoping to get a project vehicle before it snows. Thats a nice prospect!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts