Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lower timing belt cover looks like it snapped. Question is for my 2009 Forester. I had someone to the TB about 4 years ago, and looking at the cover as I'm getting ready to do the next TB myself, I noticed one of the lower bolts missing, tried replacing it and see the bolt must have snapped and the garage did not extract and replace.

Should I leave it as is, and live with one less, any suggestions on removing? If I try and drill out I was thinking of 3d printing a drill bushing to help center the drill on the broken bolt then tap. I don't have a lot of luck extracting screws and usually make a bigger mess. Other option I thought is just strip of water proof gorilla tap, its lasted years the way it is, looks like its sealed nicely.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
966 Posts
The timing belt cover is supposed to keep dust and splashes out of the timing belt area. If you can ensure that with a missing bolt, I think you will still fulfill its mission.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try Gorilla Tape, and as Red Green used to say, the fix is only temporary, unless it works.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,727 Posts
The glue is unlikely to take high temperature well, although Gorilla Glue spec is 200 F so if anything can do it, it might.

A drill bit can still wander off even with a drill guide. If the broken bit is reasonably flat on top, I'd just try a center punch on it and then go for it with the drill. Worst case if you see it wander, you still have the glue option to try out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The glue is unlikely to take high temperature well, although Gorilla Glue spec is 200 F so if anything can do it, it might.

A drill bit can still wander off even with a drill guide. If the broken bit is reasonably flat on top, I'd just try a center punch on it and then go for it with the drill. Worst case if you see it wander, you still have the glue option to try out.
Good idea, i have a 90 deg drill, should be able to get reasonable access from the bottom with the shields off and radiator still installed. I can also try drilling with a left hand bit, and see if the broken piece spins out.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
I would tape it till you do the timing belt job, then remove the cam sprocket as you should be doing cam seals as well with the timing belt. And replace the cover with a used one. That’s what I did.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
It's 100% benign. It doesn't matter at all, I've seen it about 100 times....maybe more haha

In the northeast rust states the timing cover bolts and holes have issues *all the freaking time*, it's like the norm. the bolts snap, the ears break off, the metal inserts strip, the metal inserts fall out. no big deal.

If you're really freaking out about it - cut/dremel/press the entire insert out (don't even bother with the bolt) and use a ziptie to hold it together. Actually plenty of Subaru guys use zip ties all the way around the covers so they don't have to deal with bolts (rusty, seized, tight spaces, crawl under car, etc) on timing belt changes.

Tons of hard core Subaru people run "naked" without the belt covers *at all* in death defying risky manic fits of mechanical imprudence. silly subaru guys that have been doing this for too many decades.

my point isn't to discuss this but one bolt is absolutely 100% benign.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's 100% benign. It doesn't matter at all, I've seen it about 100 times....maybe more haha

In the northeast rust states the timing cover bolts and holes have issues *all the freaking time*, it's like the norm. the bolts snap, the ears break off, the metal inserts strip, the metal inserts fall out. no big deal.

If you're really freaking out about it - cut/dremel/press the entire insert out (don't even bother with the bolt) and use a ziptie to hold it together. Actually plenty of Subaru guys use zip ties all the way around the covers so they don't have to deal with bolts (rusty, seized, tight spaces, crawl under car, etc) on timing belt changes.

Tons of hard core Subaru people run "naked" without the belt covers *at all* in death defying risky manic fits of mechanical imprudence. silly subaru guys that have been doing this for too many decades.

my point isn't to discuss this but one bolt is absolutely 100% benign.
Thanks!, I admit I'm anal about the car, I'll try some water proof tape. I thought of ty-raping also.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
Thanks!, I admit I'm anal about the car, I'll try some water proof tape. I thought of ty-raping also.
if that's the case and you're doing the timing belt replacement then just swap in another cover while you're in there. easy.

make sure you replace the pulleys while youre in there, they are far more likely to fail than the belt. get an Aisin kit or Subaru parts.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,727 Posts
All it takes is one rock or branch in the wrong place, and goodbye valves and pistons.......

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
All it takes is one rock or branch in the wrong place, and goodbye valves and pistons.......
this discussion was about bolts, hence the saturday night live description and obviously only an illustration for showing how benign a bolt is, not a suggestion.

i've seen debris push a timing cover into a timing belt and jump it which otherwise may have survived the event. make sure those undercovers are in place people, you will DIIIE!! :laugh:

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
538 Posts
i've seen debris push a timing cover into a timing belt and jump it which otherwise may have survived the event. make sure those undercovers are in place people, you will DIIIE!! :laugh:
FYI, 2008 and 2009 do not have full undercovers, but, only on sides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts