Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have first hand driving experience with a 2009 3.0R's Limited? Is the suspension exactly the same as the 05-08 and thus have that horribly underdamped rear end? I have an 05 XT and before I swapped out the struts for the LGT Tokicos, it was almost scary to drive.

I know there's been talk on the suspension threads about folks swapping out the rear struts for the 04 spec struts on 05-08s, but I am wondering if this holds true for the 09s and specifically the 3.0R versions?

I am hoping to get rid of the 05 XT and get a 09 3.0R, but I hate the thought of having to go through all the suspension components again!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

-r

·
Registered
08 OB 3.0R Ltd
62 Posts
I drive with a 2008 one and I can tell you that Its a great car. The handling and the suspension are well tuned, even on highway in city or off road, react with agility and comfort. I totally forgot that’s a wagon! And It can hold sportive and rally style as well :) The 3.0R are not there for nothing! The engine is powerful and soft with the AWD who grip the car on the road… The SI-Drive is great. Sport sharp allow you to pull all performances of the car and Intelligent mode save gasoline on a quiet ride. I like to be in this car! And the Limited features luxuriance and pleasure of driving! No really big issues are reported for this specific year/model/engine. Don't know if this struts fit on previous OB?

Hope helps!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
The 09 3.0R has the same rear shocks as the 08. The 09 3.0R Limited has a totally different shock with a different damping rate.

I haven't driven an 09 other than test drive after a repair, so you would have to find one and drive it to feel it out.

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I ended up buying one (reference the photo I posted on the 'show me your outback' thread)....and bottom line, the rear shocks suck...but before I go nuts trying silly aftermarket stuff, I plan to get the same struts I put on the back of my 01 (KYB 341276) and see how that works out. The 01 rides beautifully using those struts and Baja Turbo springs. Since the rears are relatively inexpensive and easy to work on, I'll go through first with the new struts and stock springs...if that doesn't get it, then I'll try the Baja turbo springs ( I might just jack up the 01 and steel them off of there long enough to try them, then put them back).

All this being said, the 09 in a wonderful vehicle. It is a fully refreshed update to my 01. I hope to keep it a very long time....and hope my son doesn't destroy the 12 years of lovin the 01 has gotten! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any updates? Just picked up an '09 Limited non navi.
I have ended up playing with the rear struts on the 09....and the key was the 04 spec struts AND the proper Subaru spec alignment, which BTW, goes contrary to most alignment shops thinking when it comes to the rear toe out setting. I can live with it for now....but I will be keeping a serious eye out for my previous BMW wagon....if the current owners decide to sell it, I'll be buying it back!

-r

1 - 6 of 6 Posts