Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 outback h6, recently when shifting there is a hesitation and lag. /Ther is a clear jerk when going from one gear to another, on upshifting. This only happens a couple of times a day. The car is driven gently on city streets and highways. This is not limited to a particular gear as far as I can tell. what do i look for and how much should i worry. The car has 90k miles and recently was serviced at the dealer but did not have a transmission fluid flush or any transmission work done.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts

Attachments

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Age/miles on the ATF?
Type of ATF?
Condition of motor and transmission mounts?

Reactions: Evil Soob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Will check ATF and get back tomorrow. The car has been serviced at the dealer and at JM Auto in Osseo.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I had a similar issue when I bought my 2008 LL Bean used. I drained the ATF and refilled (maybe 6 qts) with Subaru OEM HP ATF. Expensive, but gave me the peace of mind that I was doing that step correctly. It didn't 100% remedy the problem so I brought it back to the dealership and had them do a TCU reset. Our 5EAT (transmission) "remembers" the driving habits of previous drivers and sometimes needs to have a reset to override their habits.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
I had a similar issue when I bought my 2008 LL Bean used. I drained the ATF and refilled (maybe 6 qts) with Subaru OEM HP ATF. Expensive, but gave me the peace of mind that I was doing that step correctly. It didn't 100% remedy the problem so I brought it back to the dealership and had them do a TCU reset. Our 5EAT (transmission) "remembers" the driving habits of previous drivers and sometimes needs to have a reset to override their habits.
I can this for $5.44/qt which is a good bit better than any other synthetic ATF from a parts store. ($7.80/castrol/AutoZone) I pay tax and pick it up down the street. MikeShaw is only about 4 miles away from me.

You can also reset you ECU or TCU with either FreeSSm or RomRaider with a cheap OBII cable interface. (dongle, I just can't say it, sounds too silly)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
You can also reset you ECU or TCU with either FreeSSm or RomRaider with a cheap OBII cable interface. (dongle, I just can't say it, sounds too silly)
Be careful using the OBDII apps because one of the reset options works and the other does the old FUBAR to the TCU. Double check with someone here before just pushing the first option that pops up.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
Everyone seems to point towards the trans. The first thing I would check is the axle, and drive shafts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took it to Morries subaru. They said the fluid is ok, maybe a little dark, done 30k miles ago. They felt the jerk once when the car was cold but could not reproduce it.
it came back today. Will take it back to Morries, but if no resolution then what?

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
Transmission Mount, or Mount Insert?

Do a transmission Reset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts