Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Outback 2.5 SE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I had a glacier slide off the roof into the working wipers.
One of the results is that when the wipers are shut off they don't park properly, and stay above the hood line.

On previous cars there was a adjustment for this, I haven't found any on my Outback.

Is there one?? Or am I to replace the wiper motor assembly.

TIA,
Andrew

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
I've got the same problem on my '00. It seems to be intermittent though(although it tends to park above the hood more often than naught), so I also will be looking for a solution. I don't think it's the motor itself, more, that it may have nylon gears which jumped when the weight of the ice impacted them.

Only a guess. Is there any difference in the outboard travel? How close to the edge of the windscreen does the drivers side come now? If it's too far over...you may just be able to pull the arms and move them over a notch or two.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
Wiper arm placement is adjustable on most cars, and I've done the same job on two of my past OBW's. If its out of adjustment, simply correct it.

Typically you just pry the plastic plugs off of the nut that attaches the wiper arm to the drive mechanism. Underneath is a 14 mm nut to remove. Then by pushing down and pulling up on the arm itself, it will eventually break free of the drive shaft and can be removed.

Then turn the wipers on and then turn them off to park them. Place the passenger arm back onto its drive shaft and set the wiper to its parked position, put on the nut and snug it up. Do the same with the driver's side and test out the system. If correct, reinstall the plastic caps.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I've got the same problem on my '00. It seems to be intermittent though(although it tends to park above the hood more often than naught), so I also will be looking for a solution. I don't think it's the motor itself, more, that it may have nylon gears which jumped when the weight of the ice impacted them.

Only a guess. Is there any difference in the outboard travel? How close to the edge of the windscreen does the drivers side come now? If it's too far over...you may just be able to pull the arms and move them over a notch or two.
and don't call me Shirley....LOL

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Wiper arm placement is adjustable on most cars, and I've done the same job on two of my past OBW's. If its out of adjustment, simply correct it.

Typically you just pry the plastic plugs off of the nut that attaches the wiper arm to the drive mechanism. Underneath is a 14 mm nut to remove. Then by pushing down and pulling up on the arm itself, it will eventually break free of the drive shaft and can be removed.

Then turn the wipers on and then turn them off to park them. Place the passenger arm back onto its drive shaft and set the wiper to its parked position, put on the nut and snug it up. Do the same with the driver's side and test out the system. If correct, reinstall the plastic caps.
Yup, this is exactly what you need to do. Did it on my 2008 not too long ago.

The teeth where the wiper arm attaches to the shaft are quite fine, so I wouldn't be surprised if you stripped a few when this happened. If you're lucky, it just jumped a few teeth.

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
and don't call me Shirley....LOL
I see someone's paying attention!!(or old enough to remember this classic!...)

I'm still trying to have that A/P installed!:22:

·
Registered
'09 Outback 2.5 SE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured that may be the case, however the vertical sweep is the same. No crunching sounds. I guess I'll pull them and re-park them. Hopefully a done deal.

Oh, and I guess I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts