Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum for an answer, but the issue I'm having seems to be my own. It is 108 outside and I put the key in the ignition and it turns over for about 5 seconds, then stops. I rock the key back to off, rock it back to turn it on and get dash lights and no attempt to turn over. I pull the key out, reinsert it and once again, the starter turns over for 5 seconds and stops. I've pushed the throttle down, checked my wires, battery is charged. I even opened the hood and stared at the engine like I know what I'm doing.

I've had the car for a month and ready to send it down the road! Brand new engine and CVs and less than 1000 miles on the new motor. So frustrated!!!!!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,326 Posts
Multiple things can cause this problem such as a bad earth/ground connection, failing starter motor or starter motor solenoid, battery not fully charged (needs to read 12.6Volts minimum to be fully charged), gear shift isolation switch, etc. The hotter ambient temperature can show up problems with electrical connections.

Try putting the car in Neutral (not park) and see if it cranks over and starts. If it does then this suggest the "Park" isolation switch is causing the problem.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,669 Posts
It is 108 outside and I put the key in the ignition and it turns over for about 5 seconds, then stops.
Five seconds of cranking without firing suggests there's another problem with the engine - perhaps fuel or ignition. Once you address the first issue, keep on investigating and find out why it doesn't fire right away.

Also - was there ever an aftermarket security system on the vehicle?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts