Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like I got myself in too deep! I purchased my 2009 OB 2 weeks ago. It started dripping oil 2 days ago. After further inspection, head gaskets. It has 94k on it and was already expecting to replace the gaskets and everything else at 105k. Now, I am taking it into Wagner Subaru here in my area in a couple of weeks to get the timing belt, pulley's, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and a few other gaskets replaced. $2100 by the dealership sure beats the quotes from other small shops. 1 shop wouldn't even touch it. So, if I haven't had any overheating issues and no mixing in the coolant or oil, am I good to go driving it for now? I'm looking at 2 weeks till I get the repairs. I wold have done the repairs myself, but I am a little too busy to find the time.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Sorry to hear someone hosed you like that. Sure, 2 weeks won't make a difference. Are you for real, is a dealership going to do your head gaskets for 2 large? Are you sure they have the head gasket work in that quote?

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I did contact the dealership I purchased it from, most likely nothing will come of it, but I did anyways. Yeah, the local dealership here, Wagner, quoted me at $2100 plus tax. So, I am calling them tomorrow and going to schedule service.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
I was so suspicious of that quote that I googled Wagner Subaru, and I have never seen such glowing reviews of a car dealership before. I hope you know how lucky you are to have such an anomaly in your area.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Well it's $2k for timing belt and head gaskets. That's about right, I think. Previous owner of my OB payed about that much for those two.

Make sure valve cover gasket involves spark plug tube seals. My OB is leaking oil there even though the valve covers were apparently done with the head gasket. I can't imagine a qualified mechanic would neglect to do it but here I am haha.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me, I know. I have been lurking on this forums for about a month, ever since I decided on an Outback. There was another dealership called Beechmount down in Cincy that was about 80 dollars less.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
$2100 for dealer labor PLUS Subaru gaskets/timing components PLUS checking/cleaning the heads seems too cheap... It's nearly $1000 (retail) for the materials... Make sure you get a break-down of components, where they're coming from (Subaru or car-parts warehouse [aftermarket]), and what the expected outcome is.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited Automatic
2 Posts
New Outback owner, too

I sort of have the same problem. I purchased a 2011 Outback 2.5i limited with 175K miles, knowing there could probably be a head gasket issue...sure enough, exhaust is leaking into the coolant side and over pressurizing.

I have started on some stuff, but wanted to know if there was anyone in the Wilmington, NC area who knew a trusted Subaru mechanic. I don't want to go to the dealer in this area

This is my first Subaru, and am looking for some help in this area

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
we have some members from NC so, if no one can suggest a shop here, start a new thread asking for a recommendation for an independent mech near you.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
@LimaCharlie overall, yes. However, I meant the exact labor. I.e check valve lash, clean the exterior mating surfaces and associated oily parts, post-repair drive, etc. Sometimes, you have to hold their hand/get it in writing. At that cost, I would be surprised if they aren't/won't cut corners.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a little follow-up:

$2100 + tax for:

- Head gaskets
- Manifold gaskets
- Exhaust gaskets
- Valve cover gaskets
- Crank gaskets
- Cooler o-ring
- water pump
- timing belt kit (tensioners and pulleys)
- spark plugs
- oil change
- check fluids
- 13 hours of labor
- loaner car

I priced around too. I actually called Byers in Columbus and Beechmount in Cincy. They were both in that ballpark too.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I would consider that reasonable.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have always been handy with a wrench. IT blows my mind that a dealership is so reasonably priced and has such high reviews about service.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
That is a comprehensive list. Did they state where the timing components and water pump are sourced? Just because it's a Subaru dealer doesn't mean they are bound to use Subaru parts.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I specifically asked if they came from an auto parts warehouse or were they actually Soob parts....they said Soob.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little follow-up. The non-soob dealer in Columbus that I purchased it from, may........I stress may........help pay for the repair.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little follow-up. I dropped it off last Wednesday and got it back Saturday. That evening I a cylinder 3 misfire error code. I parked it and stresseed over a few tumblers of whiskey....then the next morning........I checked the plug wire. It was about 1/4" loose. I pushed it in and reset everything. No problems since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts