Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for trouble shooting on an outback that cranks but doesn't start. It is currently sitting at a dealership where they claim they aren't sure what is wrong though they've been looking at it for going on 6 hours ( supposedly). So first, the fuel pump was not priming when it was cranking, relays and fuses looked good. I didn't have the tools with me to check the fuel pump as I was 140 miles from home at 11pm at night which is why I emergency towed it to a dealer closer to my home. What other items could it be? Fuel pump, Fuel filter clogged? Anything else? The timing belt has been changed in the last 3 years, the check engine light never came on.... here's the whole story:

I drove 140 miles to a NHL game no problems with the car.
Came back out from the game, the car sat about 5 hours during the game, the car would crank fine but not start.
No noise from the fuel pump, checked fuses, gas level, basic stuff, nothing help.

Any suggestions what else I could suggest to the dealer, other than paying to tow it another 50 miles home? ( it ended up halfway between my house and the NHL venue)

·
Registered
18,155 Posts
More details about the car, such as engine, transmission, mileage, . . . Presuming for the time being it's a 2.5 non-turbo engine . .

Clearly, if the fuel pump doesn't run, the engine will crank and not start, so that's the key.

How were the fuses (2) and the relay (1) checked?

Check for power to the pump motor when the key is first turned to ON (but not start). Should be 12 V for about 2 seconds. If there's 12 V, then the motor is probably bad. If there's no voltage to the pump, then the problem is upstream. Back to the relay. If the relay and fuse are definitely good, then check if the relay is being activated by the ECM during the two second prime time and/or while cranking. (Might require backprobing the relay pin or the related ECM connector pin.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car is a 2009 Subaru Outback, 2.5I non turbo 4 cyl. with 170k miles on it

Update: Dealer took the throttle body out and cleaned it, put it back it, the car started running but hardly. They are replacing the throttle body, $610 part. Ouch.

I personally am not 100% convinced that is the issue, but I guess time will tell. It's hard when you are a DIY-er and the vehicle is stuck at a dealership 50 miles away...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts