Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Subaru Outback (limited) that I bought used about two months ago. The air system is a automatic climate control unit. Last week, the blower fan didn't come on when I started up the car. I did what anyone would do and immediately started pressing all the menu, fan speed, temperature buttons I could.

The fan came back to life about 5 minutes later. I now have about a 50% chance the fan engage when I turn on the car.

I can hear a relay or fuse click every time I switch from on/off.

Hope this is an easy fix.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
These have a diagnostic mode. Google it and see if you can find it, if not I can try to dig it up. From what I hear the self diagnostics are pretty good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that by diagnostic mode, you mean connecting a diagnostic handheld unit to the car to read the codes right?

After reading about similar problems people seem to be having, it sounds like the most probable problem is the relay is going bad. Like I mentioned earlier, I can hear a clicking noise every time I turn the air on and off.

When I started up my car this morning the blower worked like a champ! Who knows if it will work when I turn it back on this afternoon....

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
NO.

They have a self diagnostics mode that doesnt require anything aside from some sequince of steps to get into that mode.

If you think it is just a relay and it seems to be hinting that way, find the relay and unplug it then plug it back in. Sometimes that is enough to clear up a bad connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts