Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback XT, Newport/Silver, 5 speed Manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I replaced the front shafts, wheel bearings, and rotors on our 2009 Outback XT MT. Both shafts had the inner boot failed, the passenger side appeared to be like this for quite some time.

Anyone know why both inner boots would have failed? Something I should be checking? The car has 100k on it, I have had it since 25k. First issue I had with the car, so not to bad. Also how much does the dealer charge for that job? I have $500 into it and getting the hubs out of the knuckle was a major PITA!. I live in Erie PA, so the bolts and hub were extremely rusty. The rear passenger wheel bearing is growling, so that is next. I am thinking I might have a transmission mount issue?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kent

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
if those are OEM green cap axles, do not trade them or toss them away, (can't see the cap in the pic)

find someone to reboot them with subaru boots. (and yes I know finding such mechanics is a tall order).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if those are OEM green cap axles, do not trade them or toss them away, (can't see the cap in the pic)

find someone to reboot them with subaru boots. (and yes I know finding such mechanics is a tall order).

Too Late! I didn't know better and tossed them. :banghead:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
we have kicked axle issues here for a long long time,

things to do:

hunt in pick and pulls for green cap ones,
(the original steel ones do not need to be machined the way rebuild shops do,...just rebooted with subaru OEM boots,...which can be a DIY job if )

If I needed a axle right now like this minute,...I would get a NAPA. (there is one type they sell that is a brand new, never used one. ...and this gets around the problem of half-assed rebuilds).

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,091 Posts
Anyone know why both inner boots would have failed? Something I should be checking?
1. Heat (at least on passenger side)
2. Flexing
3. Age
4. Road damage
5. Road chemicals (e.g. winter salting)
6. Oil saturation, if your engine has a leak

Nothing can last forever. And yes, it pays to check underneath periodically for splits or tears in the boots.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
992 Posts
On my 08 base, the passenger boot sits right above the exhaust so it's no wonder the boot fails

The driver's side wasn't torn, but I replaced it anyway. I did keep the old axles and bought reboot kits but the A1 Cardone axles I bought seems to fit perfectly and close to 2 years later are still holding up.

The quotes I got here in CA were
Dealer:$950
Independent shop:$550
Myself: $120

45 minutes for a first-timer

Since my car has never seen road salt, the axle nut came off with the first blip of an electric impact wrench and the axle slid off the hub with a couple of gentle taps with a plastic mallet. I went the way of removing the strut bolts (mark the exact position of the top bolt, but a wheel alignment would still be a good idea).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I was able to retrieve my original shaft prior the scrap guy coming to get it. So I will go down the route of cleaning and rebooting that shaft and seeing if that takes care of the vibration. I did mark the alignment bolt and also had no issue with the axle nut, the main issue was replacing the hub bearing. But I will not remove them, this time, I should be able to drop the knuckle off the strut and swap the shaft out.

Thanks for the replies and telling me the value of the green hub shaft!

Kent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts