Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anybody happen to know if there's a (hidden) thread hole for a tow hook on the driver's side? I know there's no cover...but I'd be interested to know if you could screw in a second tow hook if you drilled a large enough whole into the bumper (reason I'm asking: I need a roof rack for carrying hang gliders and would like to add vertical supports both on the left and the right side).

Thanks,

Bernie

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, there are a few different solution - but I'm after a symmetrical one, because it's very difficult to cross-brace the load of a couple of hang gliders otherwise. A sturdy central point would work as well - but alas, nobody makes a front tow hitch for that year, either....that would be my first choice. Lacking that, I wouldn't mind drilling a hole int the bumper...it's black plastic in that location, so I'm sure I can find a suitable cover (think computer desk grommet or similar) for it to maintain looks when the rack is not mounted. Just don't want to do it if there's no place for the tow hook. I wonder if Subaru modifies the location of the tow hook depending on if it's a left or right-hand drive model.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me answer my own question - no there isn't a place to screw in a tow hook on the driver's side. Time to find another solution....

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,475 Posts
Probably would not be too difficult to fabricate your own front tow receiver. Once you get the tupperware bumper cover off, you'll see the crash beam. Other modders have altered that to host a winch, I see no reason why you couldn't add a receiver up there. Then cut a small hole in the cover & optionally make up a little cap for it. Even if you aren't in a position to fabricate this yourself, it wouldn't be an expensive job to farm out.

Then you're on the centerline so you can do all the symmetry you need and it's easy to obtain a rear hitch.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
1,034 Posts
I'm after a symmetrical one
there are already symmetrical holes you could bolt to...
"bolts onto stock threaded holes in the car's frame pan just behind the bumper"

there are after market baseplates intended for towing the vehicle behind another car.
BX3613 Subaru Legacy | Blue Ox

here is a front receiver installed

and a thread
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/43922-front-trailer-hitch-mount.html

look again at this solution.. since its based on two uprights, bolted to the symmetrical threaded holes, it won't rock the way a tow hitch based single pole would.
https://skyout.blogspot.com/2008/04/cape-cod.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"...there are after market baseplates intended for towing the vehicle behind another car...."

I like it...but boy, that's quite pricey and involved!!

"...look again at this solution.. since its based on two uprights, bolted to the symmetrical threaded holes, it won't rock the way a tow hitch based single pole would...."

Yes...but that again necessitates something to mount those two uprights to...the Forester seems a bit different than the Outback. I'm contemplating either trying to use the front crash beam (essentially mounting a bar to the outside of the bumper) or mounting a C-beam to the jack-up plate and running it straight out...and supporting that with another C-beam suspended from the tiedown ears on the left and right. The latter way would be completely non-destructive. Maybe it would even suffice to mount an extension straight out to the front form those tiewdowns (more of an L-shape really...down and out) if I could make sure that those brackets won't turn at all.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Bernie

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
necessitates something to mount those two uprights to...
there are empty bolt holes under the car to which you attach whatever plate you build or buy:

this is a home-brew plate with the attachment point for the single riser.. :

here you can see the strategy is to leave the bolted portion attached to the body, and simply remove the uprights..

·
Registered
4 Posts
here is one like that on a forester XT,

Hey ... That's my car!

I just bought an Outback and I'm poking around, looking for some rack ideas and I stumble upon this thread with my car in it. I guess once a picture gets on the internet, it never dies. Too funny.

Anyways ... this time around, I think I'm going to try to avoid the front rack and make something that is supported by the two roof x-bars and the trailer hitch.

BTW, all that aluminum is now available. The Forester goes to my daughter ... and she doesn't hang glide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey ... That's my car!

I just bought an Outback and I'm poking around, looking for some rack ideas and I stumble upon this thread with my car in it. I guess once a picture gets on the internet, it never dies. Too funny.

Anyways ... this time around, I think I'm going to try to avoid the front rack and make something that is supported by the two roof x-bars and the trailer hitch.

BTW, all that aluminum is now available. The Forester goes to my daughter ... and she doesn't hang glide.

Yea - that is funny. If I may ask - what is the rack attached to? I'd love to have that solution....

I've never considered a trailer hitch for the purpose of carrying a hang glider a) because it makes it hard to get access to the rear (which is a biggie if you are trying to give people rides with their harnesses) and b) because the law (at least in TX) stipulates the use of red lamps and reflectors for night use if the load extends more than 4 feet beyond the body of a vehicle. I tried the ladder solution, but given where the front rack is on the Subaru, I had some significant movement at highway speeds with the hang glider just about even with the front of the car. I needed to add a front support to curtail the movement (could also be that the ladder was simply not stiff enough).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL - your captions are funny!! Unfortunately I don't have any machinist friends...but maybe I can come up with a less elegant solution.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
more pics, food for thought

this one lets you access the back hatch, by strapping down after loading, but still uses only a rear trailer hitch, nothing on front

I can understand now, why you wanted a driver side tow hook to bridge a tie down over the glider front overhang..

design wise, I would go with #1 instead of #2, because it is a rigid support, and does not require a ladder.. less stuff, mo beta. I also don't like putting tension on the glider with guy wires, so the Vertical Risers (e.g. the PVC solution) Imo is less stress on the glider itself..

for some reason, it is easier to find Foresters with gliders on them, than Outbacks.. Maybe Foresters have better clearances off pavement, where gliders need to be launched..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts