Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Subaru fans; I just signed up to this forum...you lucky people! :wink2: Figured I'd introduce myself with a question. I haven't owned a Subaru for more than a few days, but I have driven a few of them. I am now in the process of finding one to actually own for a while; hopefully a good while! Here is my first question; and it's necessitated by the fact that there just aren't a lot of Subarus to look at, where I live.
Earlier this year I drove a 2010 Outback and I was really impressed with the front seat comfort. It was readily apparent that Subaru has come a long way in seat comfort. (I think the early-mid-90's seats were back-breakers). I am currently interested in a couple of 2008 models, both of which I have to drive at least a couple of hours to, just to test drive them. (Actually, one of them I might FLY to.) I know the Outback is 'all new' in 2010. I'm wondering if there was a significant change to the front seats (specifically in the Limited model), from the 3rd gen. to the 4th gen(?) Seating comfort is one of those things that you don't often find information/reviews about.
Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer...diddly

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,359 Posts
I would not select between a 2009 and 2010 based on the seats that were installed in them - but that's just me.

These are two generations of Outback that have significant differences - and I'll have to admit that I greatly prefer the Gen 3 models (2005-2009). They are lighter, smaller, and sportier handling.

You have to live with this car. You don't have to live with the seats that came in it - there are aftermarket seat options available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the input johnre: And I can assure you that I won't be deciding on one generation over the other, simply because of seat comfort, height, etc. I'm really trying to avoid spending hundreds of $$ and many hours, traveling to see a vehicle, only to learn that I don't fit in the driver seat, or that it's much less comfortable than I was expecting. The 2010 I sat in earlier this year was, as I mentioned, quite comfortable. I'd hate to fly somewhere to sit in a 2008, and find out that the seat was much different. The only Subarus I can find locally to sit in, are either close to new, or are 15 years old: I need to find a 3rd generation to sit in!

These are two generations of Outback that have significant differences - and I'll have to admit that I greatly prefer the Gen 3 models (2005-2009). They are lighter, smaller, and sportier handling.

Thanks; this is great information!
As far as the handling goes: I plan on aftermarket modifications to make it handle better anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was lucky enough to find a Gen.3 today to take for a spin (a 2005). My feeling/recollection is that the seat in the Gen.4 is significantly more comfortable. I'm assuming that the seat did NOT change during the generation, so that the seats in a 2008 model are the same as the 2005: Can someone confirm that, that is a good assumption? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Across Gen 3, the structure of the seats stayed the same. The material used to cover them (cloth vs. mixed leather/leatherette vs. full leather) and the seat adjustments (manual vs. electric) differed by model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks johnre: I found another Gen 3 to drive the other day; a 2007 Ltd. The seat was a little firm, but okay (Outback). I think I need to find a Forester to drive, as both vehicles I've driven were Outbacks and I feel further away (instead of closer), to knowing what the heck I'm looking for! Even though the '05 I drove was a 'pit'; the turbo sure felt healthy! That's all I'm certain of at this point: whatever I get, it HAS to have a turbo! Thanks again for the seat info...I forgot that it was common practice to change seat (materials) throughout a generation.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Even though the '05 I drove was a 'pit'; the turbo sure felt healthy! That's all I'm certain of at this point: whatever I get, it HAS to have a turbo!
Well, now that we're moving on past driver seat materials and comfort, you do have some studying up to do on the XT if you are going to purchase wisely. Start with what this guy @rasterman has to say, e.g.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-xt-preventative-maintenance.html#post5097193

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...36114-2005-outback-xt-7500-a.html#post2610698

I'm sure he'll be able to provide more threads to link for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts