1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Wintergreen Metallic 2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean 220,000 Miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
+200k Mile 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6 3.0
REPAIR LOG

Let me first say its been years since i owned a Subaru. My first Subaru was a Subaru GL Sedan by the time i got rid of it the car had over 300k miles. I've been on the search for a replacement subaru. One of my coworkers was selling his 02 outback and i ended up paying very little for it. once i got it i replaced both front axles, transmission fluid, filter and screen, serpentine belt, all six spark plugs, and IACV Gasket (after cleaning it). the car runs amazing but i have an issue with a few codes so far. (Code issue resolved see below for resolution)

Transmission Fluid, Filter and Screen:
When checking the trans fluid it didn't even register on the dipstick. Once it was up on the ramps and i got the drain plug off i realized that it had been years since the trans fluid had been changed. the oil was black (the color of OLD motor oil). I fully drained the Trans Oil and well when it was time to remove the filter it wasn't coming off. After spraying the rusty old AT Filter with PB Blast i moved on to the AT oil pan. someone must have changed the AT oil at sometime because the pan had eraser red gasket sealer holding it on. (such a pain in the ass) I was able to get the pan down without dropping the exhaust from the front but i will tell you i would be better to do so. i had to manhandle that exhaust to get to one screw. (side note a nice thick phillips works well just be careful) once pan was off i started removing the bolts holding on the screen and i came across a pipe that went from one side of the transmission to the other. i had to drop it to remove the screen. well before this i drained about 4-5 quarts of AT oil and after pull the this pipe down i think i drained the rest of the 8 quarts of AT oil (came out slowly but i kept thinking it was going to stop it didn't... well after 4 quarts it did). Most of it in my hair and ground. LOL I guess i will learn. finally after fiddling with the regular AT Oil Filter i was able to get it off. it was rusted on solid i cleaned the surface and installed the new one. i refilled the AT Oil and everything is great. I feel so much better that it was 95% AT Oil Change lol.​

Front Axles:
I was able to change the front axles with very little effort. I watched a video on YouTube by MrSubaru1387. VIDEO HERE that helped me visualize the process of replacing the axles. The biggest issue i had with the front axles was putting the new spring pin in with the drivers side axle i think there was a manufacture tolerance that wasn't right because i had no issue adding the pin on the passenger side. actually got the spring pin stuck and couldn't get it out when I pulled the axle off it pulled the axle shaft out which made me panic but i was able to put it back in.​
Spark Plugs
What a bitch. This is the first time i have ever changed spark plugs in something like the subaru. in all the years of doing my own vehicle maintenance i have never had so many issues replacing spark plugs not to mention there are six of them. oh my. so i'm going to walk through how i did this and you can tell me how much i messed up lol. i started on the passenger side because that seemed to have less stuff that needed to be removed. i just want to mention i have a basic mechanics tool set minus the 10mm socket (who ever keeps stealing this i'm going to get you). all joking aside. i pulled the air box and and hoses off. also removed the air collector connected to the throttle body. once that was removed i removed the piece of metal that protected the fuel rail. i got my non-existent 10mm socket and remove all the coil packs from the sparkplugs. here comes the fun part. i got my spark plug socket in there with a short extinction and broke loose the first spark plug no issues when removing the old plug i had a slight problem removing it but it came out ok. then to the next spark plug a little tighter fit (that's what she said i think) i was able to get the spark plug loose but i couldn't pull it and the socket out of the hole. so i started the thread of the spark plug pull on the socket and it popped right then i had to get a socket with out a rubber grommet so i could knock the spark plug loose. at this point i was like what the **** did i get myself into. anyway i was able to get the spark plug out of the socket and pull out the socket and with a magnet i was able to pull out the plug. as a side note the plugs went back in the way they came out "a pain in the ass". so the third plug need a little more finesse. so i put the socket in and well i couldn't get my ratchet with extension in to remove the socket even tried my short extension (must have been to big). so i found a short socket that would fit over the back of the spark plug socket and bingo got it loose but had the same issue with pulling the socket out with the plug in addition to this i found that my added socket make it to long once the plug was all the way out to pull it out of the engine. (SHOOT ME) so i threaded the spark plug back in but not tightly. i pulled out the socket that was attached to the spark plug socket and tried turning the socket with my hand (FAT HANDS SMALL PLACES) got it loose after a bit of acrobatics. then i realized the socket had the gromit in it and i couldn't get the socket and plug past the wheel well. threaded it back in a little bit pull out the socket and got the other socket un twisted the plug and knocked the plug out of the socket and pulled it all out. i just want to say that it was about 100° F outside high humidity with no shade. i was losing my mind. over something that in the past with most of my cars would have taken me a 1/2 hour to do i was at 2+ hours just to do three spark plugs. at this point i moved to the drivers side i thought hey i got more room this shouldn't be to bad. NOPE! now that i had an idea how to do it it was more of "hey i know what to expect and what kind of tools i need" it came in handy to have a magnet, spark plug socket and a socket that would attach to the end of the spark plug socket, more then a hour to work on the spark plugs and a small hand. anyway this long story is pretty much what i had to deal with for the spark plug replacement on my motor. everything's back together and running great. I think i may have had heat stroke at some point. ill never be the same.​
IACV
the owner told me when i went to by the car that it would stall at any stop signs and redlights. however if the car was in park it would idle just fine. i looked it up on line and what i found said that it was the IACV. looking into it looked like a $200 part however someone said that if you were to clean out the carbon buildup and free the solenoid of any blockage the IACV may not need to be replaced. so i took a chance and when i went to buy the car i took my tools with me. (knowing the person i wasn't worried he would back out if i fixed the car in his parking lot). the screws that were holding this thing on dont look like they had ever been removed. once the part was off i cleaned it out and use the old rubber seal (temporarily). the car didn't stall once during my test drive and not once since then. i ended up just replacing the gasket with a new one from subaru.​
Serpentine Belt

This was probably the easiest thing i have done on the car i actually did this while i was diagnosing the o2 sensor problem (i needed to get away for a second) two wrenches in the poor man's breaker bar pulled back on the tension pulley was able to get the belt off in no time. the hardest thing about putting the belt back on was how to rout the fucking belt. AHHHH took me a few times and well i was able to get it back on. (the heat was getting to me)​
Current o2 Sensor issues
I noticed that the voltage reading for the B1&2 S1 were reading about the same voltage around 3.8V so to check a theory i disconnected both o2 sensors and it read 3.7v solid no change. the reason i did this is because i think there is a wire harness that is loose or not connected. because the system is showing other faults that don't have anything to deal with the o2 sensor but could be on the same wire harness. example is P0851, P1518, P0500 codes for sensors near the upstream o2 sensors. Also another reason is that sposably the guys mechanic changed out o2 B2S1 yet its still showing errors. i want to believe its a issue with a connector. tell me what you think. pictures below of current codes.​

• With the help of CARDOC from this forum i was able to resolve these issues. here to find out it was a diagnoses connector that must have been connected since the day i bought the car. there is a green connector just above the accelerator pedal. Post Here

09/01/2020
Repairs stopped on the subaru (08/14/2020) do to a serious problem that i didn't think i was going to have. The story goes I purchased this subaru from a coworker for $500 with the knowledge that the car didn't run perfectly. knowing this i did my research and was able to convince myself that i would be able to do the work on the subaru myself. with that in min i purchased the car. the owner ( a co worker) told me he couldn't find the title. this didn't seem to odd it didn't worry me because he was a coworker and from what he was saying it seemed plausible, i'm going to assume most of you know where this is going. Well i didn't bother him for three weeks just told him to let me know when the title came in so that we could meet up again to transfer the car over. after three weeks he told me he still didn't have it. i told him he should look in to it with PENNDOT he told me he was going to check with the notary where he purchased the copy of the title. After another week i thought i would do a little sleuthing to find out what the **** was going on. i pulled a car fax report and hear to find out the car had a lien on the title. i reached out to my coworker about this and he seemed surprised. he told me that he didn't know of any lien against the title. i showed him the carfax and told him that we needed to resolve this as soon as possible because i had over 2k of my money tied up in to the car. when he finally got back to me (seemed like i was a bill collector) he told me that his son must have pulled a loan against the car and that is where the lien is from. i called bullshit 1.) if his son got a loan against the car then that means his son owns the car hence he wasn't able to sell the car. or what actually happened 2.) my coworker got a loan against the car and lied about it to cover his ass. So hear i am almost 11 weeks in still don't have a title and i have over $2000 tied up into a car that i really have wanted for a long time. i have given him to september 25th to resolve this issue or the car will be towed to the impound (apartments towing company) where he will have to pay me the cost of the repairs i did to the car the cost of the car the tow fee and storage fee. which isn't going to be cheap. i really only want this car i don't want the drama.​

I'll let you know more once i have more info.

·
Registered
Wintergreen Metallic 2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean 220,000 Miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well bad news he would rather pay me for the work that I did to the car then give me the title. Guess it was to go to be true :unsure:

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,545 Posts
no good deed goes unpunished

1 - 3 of 3 Posts