Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much has been written about the changes Subaru made for the 13 model year but how many people like the earlier versions better.

-I don't like the wart like oversized fog's.
-Cloth seat material is cheaper in feel and look? Not that the 10-12's are anything special
-No chrome rings around sped/tach.
- EJ series engine quieter and gets a little better MPG.
- Suspension a little harsh. Some people like the more isolated feel at the expense of handling.
- Wheels design?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't mind the size of the fogs but I don't like how they stick out further than the bumper and headlights. It gives the front end a wierd profile when looking from the side.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Having never owned either, my opinion is that the '13+s are significantly better looking than the 10-12s. I like the huge fog lights on the new one... makes them look more like the previous generations' awesomely huge fog lights. The whole front end is way better looking overall. I also like the wheels on the new 13s way better.

Of course, as a whole I do not like the way the 4th gen Outbacks look.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
- EJ series engine quieter and gets a little better MPG.
Has a reduction in gas mileage been the case with all 2013's or just some anecdotal observations? The EPA ratings for the FB are better so one would think it would also translate into better mpg in the real world and, if not, then why?

- Suspension a little harsh. Some people like the more isolated feel at the expense of handling.
I've never driven a 2013 but that was CR's observation but with improvement in emergency handling. I like the softer ride for the many pothole riddled roads I travel - much better ride than my two previous cars that were a jarring experience.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the MPG statement is just based on some of the comments I have heard, but I certainly like to do some more in depth analysis. Anyway, this morning I was out and witnessed this traction issue from the rear. I made a left turn from a stop on a slightly ice packed section of road and got the rear of the car to swing around, traction control system was late to the game in trying to correct. So. I'm assuming the comment from NICKSHU was the 13 model is better in this regard is spot on. Perhaps the rear ends are better planted than the 10-12's and the traction control software is quicker to react or the processor is upgraded

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
I think it is still too early to really call out the FB engine as having worse fuel economy.. most of us are still very early with our 2013s and we haven't been through summer weather.

With 2500 miles on the ODO mine is kind of hinting the fuel economy might be getting better.. my first 4-5 tanks of gas were all around 22-23mpg in city driving.. now it is holding more like 25mpg. But this is all still winter driving. Mine has never seen "summer gas".

Another benefit of the 2013 is the IIHS Top Safety Pick + rating due to the improvements to the side airbag behavior.

Personally the suspension is a big deal to me... I would not want a softer/floatier suspension tune.

I haven't had many opportunities to try sliding my 2013.. I did floor it at low speed going around a 90 degree corner in 3-4 inches of snow and the back does not step out much at all.. the traction control pretty much transparently made it seem like the car wasn't sliding, and it didn't feel like the gas was being cut significantly like in some cars I've driven. Is this different than what a 2010-2012 would do?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I like the stiffer suspension. The #1 reason I traded my 2012 for 2013. For me I came to Subaru from a lifetime of European cars, so I guess I am used to (and prefer) a tighter suspension and handling more than many people do.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I like the stiffer suspension. The #1 reason I traded my 2012 for 2013. For me I came to Subaru from a lifetime of European cars, so I guess I am used to (and prefer) a tighter suspension and handling more than many people do.
My 2010 had marshmallow suspension. The 2013 is more what I would expect it to be. Better handling but I wouldn't consider it harsh at all, after all it is my wife's car. As far as the mpg goes my 2010 was getting 27.0 and the 2013 is getting 27.3. Same roads, same commute, same driver. I can't wait to get to summer gas to see how much better it really is. Lots of improvements going from the 2010 to the 2013 (even the simple things like headlight flash at overpasses is fixed). Fogs are nice, they went back to the Subie look. I still have my 2010 Legacy just to remind me of the way things used to be. Soon that will be replaced by a Forester XT.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
As for mpg, current numbers at Fuelly for the 2.5 are 23.8 for the 2013 and 25.0 for the 2012 following 96 and 92 cars respectively. 1114 fill-ups for the '13's and 2632 fill-ups on the '12's. Personally I'm averaging 21.5mpg after 4500 miles. We'll have to see if Summer weather and gas bring the '13 averages up to previous years.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it is still too early to really call out the FB engine as having worse fuel economy.. most of us are still very early with our 2013s and we haven't been through summer weather.

With 2500 miles on the ODO mine is kind of hinting the fuel economy might be getting better.. my first 4-5 tanks of gas were all around 22-23mpg in city driving.. now it is holding more like 25mpg. But this is all still winter driving. Mine has never seen "summer gas".

Another benefit of the 2013 is the IIHS Top Safety Pick + rating due to the improvements to the side airbag behavior.

Personally the suspension is a big deal to me... I would not want a softer/floatier suspension tune.

I haven't had many opportunities to try sliding my 2013.. I did floor it at low speed going around a 90 degree corner in 3-4 inches of snow and the back does not step out much at all.. the traction control pretty much transparently made it seem like the car wasn't sliding, and it didn't feel like the gas was being cut significantly like in some cars I've driven. Is this different than what a 2010-2012 would do?
Interesting, My 10 is not transparent, in fact, I do feel the power being cut and If I did what you did I'm sure I would do a 360 before it was all over. Anybody else feel a difference?

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
IMO, the 2011 suspension is just about perfect for PA's rural
(unmaintained) secondary roads and unpaved dirt/gravel in
the state forests. Stiffer would just defeat the purpose of
the OB's generous suspension travel.

Don't give a rat's rump about flying thru twisties in the OB,
that's what the Miata and the GL1800 CouchRocket are for.

Don't even know whether I care about the front-end "styling,"
'cause the grill and fogs aren't visible from the driver's seat.

...anyhoo, it's just a freakin' station wagon,

Looby

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
Having owned my '13 for about a week and a half now, I think the ride is just about right not too soft and not too harsh.

Much softer, and I would agree with the "wallowing" assessments I've read here. Of course that can be better controlled with larger anti-sway bars.

I'm 50 miles into my second tank of gas, with the average sitting on 26.4 right now; the first tank averaged 25.5 mpg. My drive into work (28.4 miles one way) in the mornings is pretty much 65 mph the whole way after 3.5 miles of surface streets to reach the highway. The commute home is stop and go for at least half of the trip. I'm pretty satisfied so far, and I expect the mileage to go up a little as the engine loosens up a little.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That works for you but honestly I think 98% of Subaru drivers never take the car off road. I think the best solution is to build future Subaru's with a more competitive suspension design, then offer an "off road suspension package" as an option for those who prefer a marshmellow for the purposes of articulating over rough roads.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I think the best solution is to build future Subaru's with a more
competitive suspension design...
I believe that was called the "Subaru Legacy Station Wagon"...

...it went extinct (AFAIK, with no help from meteors),

Looby

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Same here. My 2011 has the most impressively compliant suspension of any car I've driven where I live, and I like the handling after adding the 19mm rear sway bar. I'm going in a straight line or taking an easy curve 99.99% of the time anyway, so how it does that is more important to me than taking a hard corner.

It would be nice for all Outbacks to have a soft and sport suspension setting to make everyone happy, but the additional cost could keep a lot of people out of the car completely.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I believe that was called the "Subaru Legacy Station Wagon"...

...it went extinct (AFAIK, with no help from meteors),

Looby

Hey I agree 100%. If I could buy a Legact GT wagon with a 3.6 that would have been my choice over the Outback. Unfortunately the older iterations of that car were a little too frumpy looking for the sports sedan loving crowd who wants to avoid and SUV but needs the extra wagon room (IE: Me).

The focus groups say that Americans hate wagons and 5-door hatchbacks (which consequently are my two favorite cars). Heck even Volvo doesn't sell the V70 in the USA anymore. I remember reading that in 2010 Volvo sold one (that's right ONE) V70 wagon per dealership in the US! The most functional car I ever owned was a Saab 9000 Turbo, unfortuately it was not AWD, but good handling, amazing power, and tons of room in the back for everything from ski trips to hitting Home Depot.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
I watch Swedish and Norwegian shows on Netflix. It is all about the tight Euro Sportwagen Saabs, Volvos, VW, BMW, Mercs and lots of Ford econohatches (5 door) thrown in to boot. Must be my nordic blood that loves the functionality of a good wagon for surfing, skiing, hauling crap and not burning full size pickup amounts of gas while retaining a bit of driving sportiness.

For GEN 4.1 vs. GEN 4.2:

I like the bigger fogs on the '13, the removal of the ludicrous MPG gauge trick:behead:, but chiefly the suspension is what I envy. :drool:

The aesthetic and comfort differences are really non-utility points IMO which amount to marketing flash. The headlight surround color, exterior and interior color changes, stereo, nav, and the comfort and convenience of a memory seat don't raise my passion.

But with a preggo wife, I am swayed emotionally by the keyless entry at the SAP level trim.

I do like my suspension during the <1% of driving I do which is on gnarly backcountry roads. For the rest >99% driving, on roads twisty and straight, I sure wish my 3.6 '11 had a tighter suspension.
:twak:And [email protected] do I wish the engineers had given Gen 4.1 a stiffer ride.:yodaddy:

Suspension, suspension, suspension.:25::25::25:

On a side, I can't imagine a 2L turbo wheezing through a 6 speed auto tranny (if one is in the works) or the 5EAT on the current OB iteration. Maybe on Gen 5 if the engineers send her to weight watchers.

3.6 will stay until Gen 5.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
I don't mind the size of the fogs but I don't like how they stick out further than the bumper and headlights. It gives the front end a wierd profile when looking from the side.

This is exactly what I was thinking from the side it looks very weird with those bulging plastic bits protruding out. They could have molded the bumper more towards the Fog from the side to give it a cleaner look yet still maintain the larger fogs from the front view. If it was me I would want the same design of the 10-12' fogs but as large as the 13'. lol Imagine that.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
What I like the most about the change is the larger front bumper opening at the bottom (where the under-guard goes) that little touch makes the front look much more aggressive. The times I've driven the 13' I found it a little too stiff for my liking, I can only imagine how stiff it would be offroad. I take my 12' offroad every week or so and find the suspension perfect, it's pretty amazingly smooth over some rough stuff. Only thing that I would like to improve on is it's cornering ability. One of these days I'll throw on the 19mm RSB and see if that lessens the roll, if not the next step maybe shocks. Still it's not that big of a deal to me to the point of spending hundreds of dollars to remedy it. I'm like Looby instead a miata I'll leave it to my 350z I'm building for the joys in the twisties. Other than that every other aspect of my OB is perfect, I freaking love this Lifted Wagon. :29:

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking from the side it looks very weird with those bulging plastic bits protruding out. They could have molded the bumper more towards the Fog from the side to give it a cleaner look yet still maintain the larger fogs from the front view. If it was me I would want the same design of the 10-12' fogs but as large as the 13'. lol Imagine that.

Sounds good. The big new ones have a Nissan xTerra, Honda Element look to them.

Get the RSB.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts