Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm interested in buying 2010 Outback with 2.5 engine and CVT transmission but I would like to know more about it's 4wd. I've been looking at many Subaru's 4wd comparisons but I have no idea which one stands for this model. Can somebody help with things like what's the power distribution and how can it vary during offroad trips?
Also in general - is this CVT transmission a good idea if I want to have some offroad fun?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,
I'm interested in buying 2010 Outback with 2.5 engine and CVT transmission but I would like to know more about it's 4wd. I've been looking at many Subaru's 4wd comparisons but I have no idea which one stands for this model. Can somebody help with things like what's the power distribution and how can it vary during offroad trips?
Also in general - is this CVT transmission a good idea if I want to have some offroad fun?
You don't need to worry about the AWD system. What you need to worry about are the head gaskets and the torque converter / CVT. How many miles does this 2010 have and what is the asking price?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,020 Posts
Hi,
@Brucey

Care to respond?

There's always this ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't need to worry about the AWD system. What you need to worry about are the head gaskets and the torque converter / CVT. How many miles does this 2010 have and what is the asking price?
Head gasket issue has already been fixed by the owner so I believe I should fine with that one for some time at least. It's around 120k miles. I'm in Europe and prices here are quite different I believe.
What worries me is that current owner didn't change transmission fluid (has this Outback since 2015) and has no idea whether previous owner did that or not...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Head gasket issue has already been fixed by the owner so I believe I should fine with that one for some time at least. It's around 120k miles. I'm in Europe and prices here are quite different I believe.
What worries me is that current owner didn't change transmission fluid (has this Outback since 2015) and has no idea whether previous owner did that or not...
You are correct in being cautious. My 2013 Outback's transmission failed at 144K miles. I bought it with about 116K and had the trans fluid changed initially about 122K and then again by the dealer at around 126K. I am summing the trans failure up to the previous owner driving the car really hard and not doing proper maintenance etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I honestly would not recommend any extreme off roading i.e. where there is a hgh chance of the transmission overheating too much. I think these CVT transmissions are more of a jack of all trades master of none. You can push them but anything to extreme and you are asking for trouble, maybe if they had a transmission cooler like you would get in a towing package they could be pushed more but if you were looking to push the engine a manual trans would probably be better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts