Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ya'll. New here. Never had anything to share until today. My wife wanted a tougher looking tire on the OB so I took that as an invitation to order up some 225/70-16 BFGs. She got them put on today. I decided to go up a size because the 215s are a lot more scarce and the 225/70 is a common size for smaller SUVs like the CRV and its ilk.

Good news...They fit. No rubbing. They look awesome and aren't too loud either. They should last quite a while. They are a light truck tire and the load rating is quite a bit more than this ol' girl weighs. They have a full 1/2" of tread and will be able to handle everything we can throw at it.

On to a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
AT tires are wasted on these cars. What a stupid, pointless expense to incur.

Just kidding, I run the Yokohama AT in the same size. Welcome to the dark side!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 and 2.5 Limited
52 Posts
those look great...I wonder if they will impact mileage. would love to see a pic further back so could see the whole vehicle.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Heck yes! Great tires!~ That was the first thing all the guys looking at my Land Cruiser noted when I sold it a few months back. Best tire ever made!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
i suspect so.

my wife's 2000 4runner 4x4 took at least a 2mpg hit!

joel
That would make sense...They are probably really noisey too. It does look cool though.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I've run these on pickups in the past and they were relatively quiet. Unless you plan on doing any off roading that requires such a tire you don't have to worry about balance issues. The only problem I really had with this tire was poorer cornering. They looked cool though and that was all I cared about at the time.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
Tires look good! I wanted a set of those, but took the cheaper Hankooks.

Pull your plastic hubcaps off and it'll look better. :)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
any problems with vibrations? ...i've run them on my tacomas in the past and they don't balance well.
I ran 34inchers on my Land Cruiser for 50,000 miles. They held balance from day one never had them rebalanced. However! Letting them get soft and leaving them parked and in cold temps they would flat spot and it took adding air and driving them to smooth them out again.

The difference between running at 45lbs vs 52lbs at highway speeds was night and DAY - 45lbs at 70mph they would start to get the big tire high speed soft donut thing going - bump the pressure to 52lbs and they held shape better and rode just fine at 70mph.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
good to hear they arent loud, my next tires will be general grabber at2, basically the same tire as the BFGoodrich. was wondering how loud they were.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I would look at some FALKEN
WildPeak A/T

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
i suspect so.

my wife's 2000 4runner 4x4 took at least a 2mpg hit!

joel
My 4Runner took a slight hit to fuel mileage with AT tires, same for a hit to ears and all performance that was not dirt or snow but it was a river guide and trail building rig. I can't imagine it with my Outback because it's a car and the bottom is not tough like the 4Runner.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
The half-inch larger diameter over stock size will lead to slightly slower acceleration, effectively acting like a taller final drive ratio. However the main hits to gas mileage and performance will come from the greatly increased rotating weight. Those tires each weigh 12 pounds more than stock tires. So, you’ve got 48 pounds of extra rotating mass to start and stop and turn. Those tires will get you out of lot of trouble off-road, but let us know what the gas mileage and performance hits are in ordinary driving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts