Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this months issue is an engine oil leak. Most definitely engine oil. Looks like about .25 qt/1k miles.

I know it's NOT the drain plug or crush seal since that was already changed. Whatever it is comes from the backside of the motor and runs down the backside of the oil pan. Aside from the oil pan gasket is there anything else back there that could potentially leak?

The car was recently repaired as a result of an encounter with a median curb. The front motor mount was replaced as was the front subframe and left strut assembly. My fear is that the impact has possibly cracked the engine casing at a mount or sealed union.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

(Maybe it's time to trade)

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
If it isn't the oil pan gasket, it sounds like it could be the rear main seal. They can start leaking on newer vehicles but it is uncommon (but again, it can happen as it did on my work truck when it only had 25,000 miles). I doubt that it would be crash damage related.

Engine seals like the rear main are covered under the 5 year, 60,000 mile drive train warranty according to the Subaru website. I'd recommend having a Subaru dealer take a look at it because it would probably be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it isn't the oil pan gasket, it sounds like it could be the rear main seal. They can start leaking on newer vehicles but it is uncommon (but again, it can happen as it did on my work truck when it only had 25,000 miles). I doubt that it would be crash damage related.

Engine seals like the rear main are covered under the 5 year, 60,000 mile drive train warranty according to the Subaru website. I'd recommend having a Subaru dealer take a look at it because it would probably be covered under the warranty.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I had a front diff leak early on. It settled around the oil pan. I'm thinking diff fluid with some age may give off the appearance of motor oil, in any case the CVT had to be replaced

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a front diff leak early on. It settled around the oil pan. I'm thinking diff fluid with some age may give off the appearance of motor oil, in any case the CVT had to be replaced
Yeah, I recall reading about the CVT leaks. I have an MT car and real sure it is motor oil. :( :mad:

I think I may dye the oil and see if it's a rear main, or pan gasket...May just wipe it down good and trade it in on a new one too. lol

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
Rear separator plate is more likely to leak than the rear main. Either way the trans or engine has to come out to fix it.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Yeah, I recall reading about the CVT leaks. I have an MT car and real sure it is motor oil. :( :mad:

I think I may dye the oil and see if it's a rear main, or pan gasket...May just wipe it down good and trade it in on a new one too. lol

I aploligize I thought you had the CVT, anyway my dealer sprayed this white stuff around the leak after it was cleaned up to isolate it.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
I aploligize I thought you had the CVT, anyway my dealer sprayed this white stuff around the leak after it was cleaned up to isolate it.
Baby powder (Talcum powder) is what I have always used to find fluid leaks. Clean the area with brake cleaner, wipe dry. Then, puff powder around the suspect area, and check early and often. You want to catch it just when the leak starts to discolor the white dust. First spot gets the prize.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Baby powder (Talcum powder) is what I have always used to find fluid leaks. Clean the area with brake cleaner, wipe dry. Then, puff powder around the suspect area, and check early and often. You want to catch it just when the leak starts to discolor the white dust. First spot gets the prize.
Yeah, this is what i thought I'd try first. A friend, auto mechanic, suggested using R-134 dye in the oil. If the talcum doesn't work, I'll step it up and try the dye.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts