Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Ltd with Nav, Eyesite, loaded.
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in battle with Subaru regarding the many faults of the 2013 navigation and bluetooth system, and how I feel it is deceptive to sell the system without an explanation of what will and will not work when in motion, and the compatability or lack thereof of certain cell phones prior to the purchase.

I asked the headquarter rep if they ever see all of the complaints on this forum. Her response was that they do not read the forums, because they have no way to confirm if the person posting is a Subaru owner or not! (What a bunch of BS).

I told her that I will post her name and direct number, in the hopes that other dissatisfied navi owners will call and speak with her, or at least leave their name, phone, VIN number and voice their unhappiness. This is what it will take to get some fixes. She needs to hear from lots of numbers!

PLEASE CALL: Gretchen Atkinson at 856-488-3125

After you call, let us kniow that you did! Can we get several hundred navi owners to call about blackouts when the vehicle is in motion, no texting with an iPhone for 2013 vehicles, no downloads from an iPhone for 2010-2012, etc. no matter what your issue is with the navi head, this is who to call.

There is strength in numbers and this is our opportunity.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
We have only had ours for coming up on 2 weeks, but I dont yet see why everyone hates the Nav....Biggest complaint I heard was volume, which is easily adjusted....also heard once vehicle is in motion you cant do anything....

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
We have only had ours for coming up on 2 weeks, but I dont yet see why everyone hates the Nav....Biggest complaint I heard was volume, which is easily adjusted....also heard once vehicle is in motion you cant do anything....
First of all, at least on my '13 OB, the volume is NOT easily adjusted to a tolerably low level. I've opened a case with Subaru about that. Other than the volume, I've found the Nav reasonably good, compared to my last two cars' Navs. None of the cars I've owned with built-in Nav allowed programming while the car was moving, so I expect that.

However, I've used Garmin GPS units for years and IMO nothing comes close to the convenience, ease of use, accuracy, and common sense interface of a Garmin. I wish Garmin made the software for Subi's.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Although touchy, the volume is easily adjustable....as long as you arent moving
Nope it isn't on my car. The service manager and his lead tech agree with me, as well as every passenger I've had in the car

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
you can turn the volumedown to nothing, its a little touchy to find acceptable, but not impossible!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you all focusing on volume? How about bluetooth compatability, using the touch screen texting feature or at least trying to. Have you asll tried to use the features? iPhones are NOT compatible. Anything wrong with the worlds most popular cellphone not working? Anyone having issues with being told to make a turn when you are on top or have past the turn? Theyn replaced my 2013 navi unit and it has features the original did not! Are you all happy that you cannot push buttons to make a call while the vehicle is in motion? Can you change deastinations when the vehcile is in motion? Why are you all so complacent? Oh, wrere you told in advance that certain features would not work or did you discover those afterwards as I did? For 2013 look at page 24 in the manual: "When the safety is on, certain featuires will not work". They will not tell you how to shut the safety off!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Well, at least in my case, my iPhone 5 works fine with my '13 Nav unit. It links with BT right away and I've made/received calls successfully. I've also streamed audio, as have my kids with their iPhones. As far as limiting functionality while moving, I'm used to that from my previous two cars. My only issue is not being able to turn the volume down to a reasonable level. Sorry you're having problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a written notice from Subaru, that the iPhone5 is not compatible with the 2013 Fitjusi-ten navigation system. Try adding a name to your phonebook on the phone, then see if it appears in your downloaded contact list. It won't. Have you had anyone send you a text which the navi received AND READ OUT ALOUD? Have you tried to respond to a text by hitting reply and then SEND with one of the automated responses? Have you tried to send an email? Are you aware these are options? Have you checked to see that ALL your contactys on your phone downloaded into the bluetooth navi.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
My Samsung Galaxy S III finally works fine with bluetooh (all functions), after fiddling around with the Fujitsu-Ten Nav screen for a couple of months. I suggest everyone with enough patience, to read (page-by-page) the Nav manual thoroughly. Most (if not all) answers are there. I found that many dealers are not quite familiar with the programming nor proper operation of the Navigation on 2013 OB as this is a new technology to them as well.This weekend I will be installing the ProClip cell phone holder (from Sweden, now available in USA) that I found to be the best solution (no drilling) for Samsung Galaxy.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Yes I'm aware of those options, but I have chosen to not use them. I have my iPhone mounted in my car and when I want to text or email, I use the phone. But I can understand and support your frustration when the mfr documents "features" that don't work. Certainly they need to remedy that, soon and for free.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try dialing the main number of a business with your Galaxy 3 while in motion, then see if you can enter an extension by touching the on-screen keypad. Have you received texts that read out by synthetic voice and then respond by selecting a premade message and hitting the send button?

·
Registered
2013 Satin White 2.5 Limited w SAP, Puddle Lights, Rear Seat Back Protector
47 Posts
The main problem with this unit is the counter-intuitiveness built into this unit. Why are there 2 menus, 1 in the upper right hand corner, one in the lower left hand corner? Why isn't intuitively obvious on how to enter a simple destination? Why do i get messages overlaying my rear view camera display when i'm backing up? Why doesn't it sync w my droid and download my phone book? Why can't i load my safety camera database on it? Why can't i display gas stations on the screen? I have been using built in navs for over 10 yers and this has been the hardest to learn and I still doen'thave it down. I have read the manual, but don't get to use the car every day - it's my wifes.

This lack of intuitiveness is actually a saftey hazard for the users of this system as it takes attention away from driving for too long when trying to use it on the move.

The only thing it does really well is sync to my wifes phone and stream music over Btooth instantly when we get in the car.

Granted, this is my wifes car, so i only drive it on weekend get-aways and I am way more familiar w my toyota nav.

The integrating system engineer(s)on the development team for this unit have no clue when it comes to a context sensitive user interface. You have the radio team, the bluetooth team, the audio team, the rear view camera team, and the nav team. It's obvious that a few folks on these individual teams are trying and have good ideas. There is no nav unit system team stanardizing the user interface and pulling these subsystems/functions together into a unit with a cohesive user friendly interface bridging all these capabilities. They are just plastered together helter skelter.... There is so much potential with this unit, but for the lack of system integration and feedback from user testing...

Also, where were the guys doing processing performance capacity modeling on the hardware processor(s)? This unit takes for ever to boot and processing is behind your real location on the move.

In this car, i've given up and just throw the portable garmin on the dash and go...

This 2013 nav is biggest waste of money ever.

Sorry for being so negative, but,there is no way to figure this nav out short of taking a 4 credit hour course in it's use and continuing to use it every hour.

Based on what I'm seeing, Subaru has their head in the sand on this. It's really sad that this is such a high use item in today's day and age is such a super negative on such a great car....

This is our 1st Subaru and we love it. Except, the nav is the worst we've both used. Our nav experience base is 2 Toyotas, 1 infinity, 1 Nissan, 1 Cadillac, and, of course, several Garmin portibles. All of these were way easier to use than this Subaru unit.

I wish we could buy cars prewired with a double din setup and just buy our own after-market systems and install them....

I could call this Subaru representative, but then I'd be on the phone for days talking abou this. The sad part is I could really help them here. Thanks for listening (reading).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2012 Subaru Outback and the biggest regret about my purchase was getting the factory nav. I did apply the safety bypass mod and while that made the nav more usable while driving, it was still a horrible nav design stuck in the early 90's. I have since replaced it with a Kenwood 7190HD which uses Garmin navigation with traffic and the navigation is usable, the traffic is predictive, the Bluetooth works for phone and streaming beautifully with my Android handset. My iPod works quite well as my music source. And it cost less than half of Subaru's nav price.

I may buy another Subaru but not with their factory nav. Anyone want to buy a 2012 Subaru factory nav and XM radio module? I'm holding on to them for now but would not shed a tear parting with them.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Try dialing the main number of a business with your Galaxy 3 while in motion, then see if you can enter an extension by touching the on-screen keypad. Have you received texts that read out by synthetic voice and then respond by selecting a premade message and hitting the send button?
To be honest, I have not dialed any extension numbers from voice prompts, after dialing the "main" business number. I only make straight calls from my car. I use my land line at home to dial companies that have call centers overseas...because of long holds before getting a live person!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
ProClip Samsung Galaxy

Installed ProClip Samsung Galaxy cell phone holder. Added extra power outlet in foot well area (above foot rest) directly hard wired to Nr. 28 open fuse and run cable to the ProClip cell phone holder. Pics below...no drilling!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
ProClip Samsung Galaxy

One more...without the phone in the holder! The holder is spring-loaded (top goes up) then phone plugs down to the re-charger on the bottom. Those Swedes/Vikings had it figured out to the last detail!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
One more...without the phone in the holder! The holder is spring-loaded (top goes up) then phone plugs down to the re-charger on the bottom. Those Swedes/Vikings had it figured out to the last detail!
As you probably know, ProClip makes an identical holder for the iPhone 4 and 5 models. I have the iPhone 5 version and I love it. Instead of hard wiring as you did, I just use a lightning power cable to a USB adapter in the 12v power outlet.

Nice photos

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Budaru: Great! I just did not want to "occupy" the 12 V power outlet in the center so that I can plug in other "appliances".... ProClip is the way to go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 Subaru Outback and the biggest regret about my purchase was getting the factory nav. I did apply the safety bypass mod and while that made the nav more usable while driving, it was still a horrible nav design stuck in the early 90's. I have since replaced it with a Kenwood 7190HD which uses Garmin navigation with traffic and the navigation is usable, the traffic is predictive, the Bluetooth works for phone and streaming beautifully with my Android handset. My iPod works quite well as my music source. And it cost less than half of Subaru's nav price.

I may buy another Subaru but not with their factory nav. Anyone want to buy a 2012 Subaru factory nav and XM radio module? I'm holding on to them for now but would not shed a tear parting with them.
zzatihz1- does the Kenwood replace the existing HU in your 2012 without reworking the center console? I have been looking for a replacement for my stock unit and have been told that there is nothing aftermarket that will swap out. a

Appreciate the response.

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts