Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 3.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else with a 2010 Outback 3.6 Limited has had this problem. My clock arbitrarily resets itself to 1:00 p.m periodically for no known reason. At first I thought it might have been my bluetooth, since it seems to have started when I set up my phone. But when the bluetooth has been off it still does it as well. The radio stations hold their memory postion it is just the clock that resets.

It happens once to twice a week. There is no pattern other than it does it when I start the car. I had it in they tested the battery, voltage etc. Unfortunately they want to see it duplicated but it is so random that it is pretty hard to do. I called a couple of Subaru dealerships and they say no TSB or other reports.

I really like the car but this is very annoying to have to keep resetting the clock. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/Nav/ES/PBS
239 Posts
Sbear said:
I was wondering if anyone else with a 2010 Outback 3.6 Limited has had this problem. My clock arbitrarily resets itself to 1:00 p.m periodically for no known reason. At first I thought it might have been my bluetooth, since it seems to have started when I set up my phone. But when the bluetooth has been off it still does it as well. The radio stations hold their memory postion it is just the clock that resets.

It happens once to twice a week. There is no pattern other than it does it when I start the car. I had it in they tested the battery, voltage etc. Unfortunately they want to see it duplicated but it is so random that it is pretty hard to do. I called a couple of Subaru dealerships and they say no TSB or other reports.

I really like the car but this is very annoying to have to keep resetting the clock. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Do you have Navigation? If so the clock on your dash will sync with the Nav system clock.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Azurite Blue 3.6R Limited and 2001 Outback wagon 2.5
876 Posts
Sbear said:

There is a TSB out for early production outbacks that may be related to your problem:

Service Procedure for Multi-Function Display (MFD) Wire Harness Repositioning

Service Bulletin #08-38-09
Pages: 6

Bulletin Description: Subaru has determined that certain 2010MY Legacy & Outback models produced before June 30, 2009 could have been manufactured with an improperly routed electrical wiring harness to the multi-function display unit. This condition could result in the wire harness connector making incomplete contact rendering the display inoperative including the front passengerýs frontal airbag on/off indicator light. (This is a noncompliance with FMVSS 208.)

The following repair procedure should be followed when servicing vehicles affected by the Multi-Function Display (MFD) Wire Harness Stop Sale/Stop Ship notice released by Subaru on July 16, 2009.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 3.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you that is good information to know. However my car was produced in November of 09 as I ordered it direct from the factory. My front airbag light has be fine but perhaps the TSB you referred too is relevant. Thank you again for the information and your timely respone. I really appreciate it and will mention it when I bring the car in for service.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Azurite Blue 3.6R Limited and 2001 Outback wagon 2.5
876 Posts
Sbear said:
Thank you that is good information to know. However my car was produced in November of 09 as I ordered it direct from the factory. My front airbag light has be fine but perhaps the TSB you referred too is relevant. Thank you again for the information and your timely respone. I really appreciate it and will mention it when I bring the car in for service.
Your welcome.

It makes sense to look at the connection since if power was momentarily lost the clock would reset but everything else in the multi-function display unit would be fine.
They could also check the condition of the fuse and the fuse box contacts for the display unit as well, can't hurt to rule that out.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,128 Posts
Sbear said:

You may want to try this: First turn the key on to verify the clock is on the correct time. Then start the car and see if the clock then resets. If it's interrmitent this may take awhile. I suspect that during starting when there is a heavy draw on the battery the voltage drops to a level that resets the clock but nothing else. The only reason that I suspect this is that many, many people had this problem with the Lexus RX300 (my previous car). The battery would always load test fine and otherwise work fine but replacing the battery would always fix the clock problem. Anyway, it costs nothing to perform this observation and see if it is your problem. Standard joke on the Lexus forums was that the clock was the battery failure early detection system.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 3.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for this information. Can you clarify something for me. So you want me to turn the key to the position before it starts and verify that the clock comes on with the right time, then precede to start and see if the clock resets? If the clock does reset at this point, you think the battery is bad?

The car is only a few months old, but I suppose if the battery is defective. I will give it a try. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,128 Posts
Sbear said:
Thank you for this information. Can you clarify something for me. So you want me to turn the key to the position before it starts and verify that the clock comes on with the right time, then precede to start and see if the clock resets? If the clock does reset at this point, you think the battery is bad?

The car is only a few months old, but I suppose if the battery is defective. I will give it a try. Thanks again for the information.
Yes, that's it. What could be happening, if the battery is weak, is the voltage drops enough to reset the clock when the starter is engaged. It may be a long shot, but I did see this problem many times on the RX300 forums. Many posters thought it could not be their battery cause it just load tested fine or was not that old but the battery always fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 3.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried it this morning and it was fine but I will keep doing it and see what happens. Thanks again for your prompt reply!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited +M/R +HK
27 Posts
This is happening now with my 2012. But along with this diagnosis now the car wont even start/turn over. Anyone have more input on this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts