1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
02 OBW LLbean H6
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

I'm trying to figure out this problem with this 3.6

it's got misfire codes in which I cleared it, changed spark plugs with oem one and the coils too I'm still getting the same codes after 20 miles or so mind you that when I get the flashing check engine light, the brake light and CDC light flashes too I'm puzzled what could it be?

·
Registered
02 OBW LLbean H6
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's got 60k miles out of warranty wires? which ones?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
is this on the same tank of gas? perhaps it's bad.

brake light?

almost seems like an alternator,charging problem. Does the car have its original battery?

you may need to get the fuel trim numbers with a scanner that can read freezeframe data.

·
Registered
02 OBW LLbean H6
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup original battery would the battery cause misfire codes on 3 cyl? but the car does not misfire

weird

·
Registered
17,547 Posts
yup original battery would the battery cause misfire codes on 3 cyl? but the car does not misfire

weird

while I did experience exactly that on my wife's car - spurious misfire and other codes set by a battery with a bad cell - I'd say it's uncommon. Just one thing to add to a list of possibilities.

a battery in your part of the country 'should' last a little longer but, you might consider having it tested.

·
Registered
17,547 Posts
on newer cars, setting a DTC (check engine light on) will disable cruise and traction control - maybe other systems in fancier cars - by design. Normal

the brake light is weird. It COULD just be coincident that the reservoir is low and the float sensor is signalling you are near to needing new pads. But sometimes charging system problems will light brake or ABS dash lights. it seems to vary by model years.

perhaps someone else will chime in with more specifics or experience.

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
The battery/electrical suggestions are interesting. Something to check, for sure.

In addition, a bit of brainstorming . . . .

All three codes are for the misfires are associated with the cylinders on the left (driver) side. Sort of suggests something that's common to all three.

Doesn't the H6 have separate coils for each cylinder, and the wiring to each them is low voltage? If so, there's less chance coils or ignition wiring is a cause (although not impossible).

Perhaps the fuel rail on that side. Is there any sort of valving, filtering, pressure regulation, in the fuel supply that's specific to each side of the H6?

Could it be due to a faulty air supply issue on one side; for example, a vacuum hose related to the intake manifold on that side that's off, or broken. Is the EGR valve on the left side and feeding into the left side of the intake manifold?

·
Registered
02 OBW LLbean H6
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
problem was gone for 2 weeks and just reappeared yesterday well i guess it is dealer time

:28:

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limited
11 Posts
Have the same issue, and will start a separate thread, but I (and maybe some others?) would love to know the resolution of this. What eventually worked to solve the issue? By any chance was it the driver's side bottom OCV (Oil Flow Control Solenoid Valve)?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
892 Posts
I have been getting P030x codes for a while, either one side at a time (1, 3, and 5, or 2, 4, and 6) (I have a 3.6R), or sometimes all six cylinders. Never one cylinder at a time. So it's not a single plug, or any other "one per cylinder" problem.

For other reasons (a low-idle problem), I recently replaced my PCV valve. From reading up on bad PCV valve symptoms, they can result in over-lean conditions (as well as over-rich), which COULD result in these misfire codes. Since changing my PCV valve I have not had an occurrence of the codes, but it's too soon to conclude that the PCV valve solved the "misfire" problem. I will reply back after some weeks have gone by.....

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
880 Posts
Thanks for your information. Let's hope the new PCV valve indeed solved your issue. Keep us posted....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts