Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited 2013 Crosstrek Premium
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the recent past I have noticed a very slight/quick loss of power? then thud back to normal. all happens in about 1 second. first noticed as I was cruising just maintaining speed just a slight hiccup is about the best I can describe (loss of power, signal to something then a slight thud and all back to normal. just a few times over the last few weeks to month or so. now its getting more frequent very quickly. the one thing I was able to notice is the MPG gauge dropping during the hiccup then back to normal. Car has Zero codes for engine or trans (scanned with a LEGIT scanner).

more recently the car has done it under load which is new. have experienced this in Drive under high load (probably 2nd gear, manual mode under medium load in 2nd gear, but also at cruising minimal load in drive so probably 5th gear and maybe 4th

read around, similar issue finally got a misfire code on 6 and replaced plug and coil pack and fixed.

this is my daily driver and with current weather my other vehicle is a non option.

my first thoughts were trans issue but today noticed it, not at all on the way to work, but frequently on the way home. and noticed a possible RPM drop in the moment of hiccup.

I've seen a lot of fuel pump issues not causing codes before. thoughts?
planning to do a pressure test soon. (have not done a filter yet but would expect different performance issues for that though)

car runs and drives great. zero other issues. 110k i'm the second owner, mother in-law the first. yes i really do drive a mom car, literally :( :)
Spark plugs about 25k ago. NGK OE (not Subaru branded ones) trans flush about 30-35k ago. (full case of 12 qts. fluid was pretty bad, just dark and stinky no metal that I could see)

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
977 Posts
Have you changed the “in tank” fuel filter?

At 110,000 miles the filter could be restricting fuel flow and causing these problems.

Seagrass

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK came across these two threads that I feel are similar to my issue

I have been closely monitoring my situation. I installed a fuel pressure gauge as I thought this could be a potential suspect but readings are solid, consistent and spot on.

HOWEVER. since doing so I've had only a couple of these bucks or ????? and pretty minor. the temp has been above freezing and little or no snow in my path. In the past 2 days I have felt this issue 3 times . all very specifically when the temp is below 33 (only down to 31) and there is snow on the ground and the air. thus making it hard to determine between temp, traction or intake of snow/moisture as the cause.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
has bucked under many conditions including;
full load uphill in drive probably 2nd maybe 3rd gear (only once)
manual mode down hill (engine braking) 2nd gear (only once)
steady pedal in drive probably 5th gear maybe 4th light load maybe 45-50 mph happened several times (very lightly) but consistent on a straight stretch
and other times seemingly random and sparse.

all of these were when temps were below freezing and snowing/snow on ground.
since all of this, temps have been just above freezing so only the 3 times mentioned in last post

temps will drop starting tonight we'll see if this goes on

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got nothing other than data log it and see if some data streams are going bonkers when it does it. I only get it under light throttle between 50-60 and since I have change the fluid it is much less

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All new problems! Drove home the other day and had bad wheel wobbling problem. I assumed it was just snow built up in the wheels throwing things off balance as this happens regularly. Drove today after removing fuel pressure test gauge, cleaning MAF/IAT ( which I discovered a small piece of debris in) and claenig throttle body. All snow melted out no issue there.

Now the car is vibrating from 55 and up. I'm hoping I just lost a wheel weight or maybe a separated tire.

Seems to me though the torque converter might be staying locked up when it shouldn't. Let off the gas pedal and the rpm holds steady vs. Dropping down to lower rpm.

Torque converter/ lockup issue ????????
I have came across a few threads now showing these symptoms as torque converter failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some updates; cleaned throttle body and maf/iat, in which I found a small piece of debris of some kind. didn't get a chance to look at it closely as once it came loose it was gone. temps have still barely been down to freezing but have been driving on and through snow with no issues.

as far as the wheel wobble I pulled the wheels and cleaned the excessive road sand/gravel from the inside and all good now.

still a little worried about trans/possible lockup issue. trans behaves a little differently than in the past. plan is to drop fluid and pan and install a few high powered magnets in the pan. I used Subaru HP for flush but will probably use Valvoline max life for drain refill. seems like alot of people on here use that. I'll wait that out for a bit and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts