Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 6cylinder 2010 outback and wanted to install a newer radio. It has both the radio and the large navigation screen currently. What would be the best option? To install the new radio in the place that the gps screen is now or where the radio is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a 6cylinder 2010 outback and wanted to install a newer radio. It has both the radio and the large navigation screen currently. What would be the best option? To install the new radio in the place that the gps screen is now or where the radio is.
I did something similar in my 2012 Outback which came with the factory nav system (the worst nav system I have ever seen!). Ultimately I purchased a new front bezel from Subary parts for the non nav setup. This provided the double DIN radio mount and the storage cubby. You will also need a double DIN mount for the Outback, wiring harness adapters and of course, a replacement head unit.

The installation was not trivial and greatly depends on your tools, skills and knowledge. When I did mine a number of years ago, I do remember taking pictures along the way. There are guides that I found online as well to do the replacement.

Initially I replaced the factory nav with a Kenwood unit supporting Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I wasn't very happy with the Kenwood and about a year later replaced with a Pioneer AVIC-8100 also supporting AA and CP. I was very happy with this unit for many years especially the tilting screen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts