Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I don't know if any of this background is likely to matter, but I'll try to be thorough:

-Bought used at 100k from dealer in Oct
-Currently at 118k
-I had the oil changed on Sunday, used high-mileage for probably the first time. The guy at Jiffy Lube (please don't judge me) said the air filter was installed backwards, and dirty. I declined his upsell, but I'm guessing he put it back "correctly".
-I drove around on Monday with no issues.
-On Tuesday after idling for 5 minutes in the driveway the CEL came on (and flashing cruise, brake, and traction control). I drove around a little and it ranged from sluggish to extremely sluggish, and I had to crank it extremely long to get it started again right after.
-I just got the codes read at Autozone and they say:

• it's misfiring on every cylinder (P0301 to P0306),
  • too lean on both banks (P0171 and P0174 - each is repeated 3 times on the printout I have from Autozone)
  • Control Module Programming Error (P1602)
The guy at Autozone tried to sell me 6 plugs and coils, but I declined - I haven't checked yet if the dealer replaced those before I bought it. I'm suspicious that maybe the trouble could be because of the "Control Module Programming Error", but I don't know what that is.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
If he put the filter back the right way, then the engine is busy breathing all the dirt from the (former) outside of the filter. Get this one fixed soon?

Sounds like you don't drive it much- how fresh is the gas?

How's the battery? Computers do weird things in undervoltage situations.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,263 Posts
Make sure all the intake hose clamps are tight. Make sure the MAF is plugged in. This sounds like an intake leak caused by Jiffy Lube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha! I tweezed out a physical obstruction (a bit of dandelion fluff) from the MAF, and that seems to have done it. Will the CEL correct itself (letting me know that I have in fact fixed it), or do I need to go get it cleared and hope it doesn't come back?

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
Reminds me of a movie called Rat Race, the line there was "You should have bought a squirrel". Just curious - which way did the Jiffy Lube guy reinstall the filter??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy installed it consistent with what photos I've seen indicate as being 'correct'. I'm willing to believe that it was in fact "backwards" before he touched it, but then by flipping it debris exited the filter and hit the MAF. I should have told him to put it back in backwards until I bought a new filter...

·
Registered
19,237 Posts
Aha! I tweezed out a physical obstruction (a bit of dandelion fluff) from the MAF, and that seems to have done it. Will the CEL correct itself (letting me know that I have in fact fixed it), or do I need to go get it cleared and hope it doesn't come back?
If there are no faults (same, or other) detected in three drive cycles, the CEL should go off, and the other functions (e.g. cruise) will be restored.

The codes will likely remain in the ECM memory for up to 40 drive cycles. They will be readable by code readers, but otherwise have no effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts