Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually a 2010 Legacy 3.6r with 62k miles, but the amount of information on this site is fantastic. Please hear me out.

So when I got the car in April and did an oil change there was a HUGE glob of caked oil/grease by the filter. Previous owner only did changes at the dealer out of town...

What does everything think about these pictures of a leak? My thoughts..
Timing chain cover
Valve cover gasket
Oil cooler gasket

I will take it to the dealer, but the last time I had it in the shop they gave me a 2017 impreza as a loaner, and someone ran a red light and I ended up totaling their car. hah, they may hate me.

I may try to replace the oil cooler gasket because its the easiest and its pooling in that area. Is there a TSB by any chance I can look at?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
What does everything think about these pictures of a leak?
Looks like the oil cooler gasket to me.

My wife's 2011 Outback 3.6r looked exactly like that - even had the glob of oil coating the cooler that I wiped off. Pretty common leak on the 6-cyl. engines.

Easy and cheap repair made much easier if you remove plastic splash shield from the underside.

Purchase one oil cooler gasket, Subaru p/n 21370KA001

1. Drain oil
  2. Remove oil filter
  3. Use 24mm deep socket to remove internal connecting pipe (the threaded pipe inside oil cooler that the oil filter threads onto)
  4. Pull cooler away from housing and remove worn o-ring from groove
  5. Wipe all surfaces clean
  6. Install new o-ring into groove on oil cooler
  7. Apply a small amount of oil on ring to facilitate sealing
  8. Put cooler back into position
  9. Re-install connecting pipe and torque to 40 ft./lbs.
  10. Install new oil filter
  11. Fill engine with new oil
  12. Start engine and check for leaks
  13. Done
  14. Easy Peasy...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have enough posts yet to attach working links, but go on YouTube and search for the following videos that outline the process. Copy & paste what I have here and it should work.

"2008 Subaru Tribeca Oil Cooler Gasket Replacement" (goo.gl/azPKQc)

"Subaru Oil Cooler Leak" (goo.gl/TYqzif)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Yeah they're $5 and isn't hard. Figure an hour for your first time.

That and the valve cover gaskets will nearly always need replaced by 200k on that engine so once per vehicle life time so to speak.

In general it's a bit trickier than described if you pull the coolant hoses, that drains all the coolant. If left attached there's little room to work and clean and are leveraging the coolant hoses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In general it's a bit trickier than described if you pull the coolant hoses, that drains all the coolant. If left attached there's little room to work and clean and are leveraging the coolant hoses.
Removing the two 10mm coolant pipe bolts from the front of the block (as shown in one of the videos) allows the entire assembly to be swung down giving you plenty of room to do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to change my oil today and attempted to replace the oil gasket, but I don't know where I put it. I may have accidentally thrown it away. haha Just my luck. I may take it to the dealer now to ask them what they think. What really chaps my butt is the previous owner had all his oil changes done at a reputable dealer and they didn't bother fixing it, or even telling him about it as far as I know. Obviously he wouldn't tell me it had a small oil leak if I was buying it.

It makes me think they didn't bother telling him or investigating because there was a HUGE clump of grease/oil above the oil cooler so I don't think they ever cleaned it off to see where it was coming from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts