Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback premium, 2018 Forester Premium, 2021 Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 2.5 Outback with a leaky coolant crossover pipe..I have searched over this forum, but I can’t find removal and installation instructions on the job..
I have ordered all the parts needed, But further examination I might have to remove the throttle body from the intake, There seems to be a hard steel pipe attached to the intake throttle body on a flange with two bolts..
I’m just not sure how to dissemble everything correctly..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have determined that it is the o rings on the cross over pipe..
I have cleaned and dried all the coolant off the top of the engine..
when the car sits and cools off the coolant leaks.. It pools around the bottom flanges of the pipe..
I have searched all over the interweb and cannot find any manuals or DIY on a gen 4 2010 Outback with plastic intake..
The stealer quoted me $650 to do the job, With my back hurting after bending over the engine, I’m thinking it might be worth it..

·
Registered
187 Posts
i just had my 2014 2.5 throttle body and intake man. off; pretty easy job. i can post pics and guide you if you have 2.5 assuming not too different from 2010.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2010 2.5 Outback with a leaky coolant crossover pipe..I have searched over this forum, but I can’t find removal and installation instructions on the job..
I have ordered all the parts needed, But further examination I might have to remove the throttle body from the intake, There seems to be a hard steel pipe attached to the intake throttle body on a flange with two bolts..
I’m just not sure how to dissemble everything correctly..
pic 1 left side leak
pic 2 is below throttle body, I think the egr?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just had my 2014 2.5 throttle body and intake man. off; pretty easy job. i can post pics and guide you if you have 2.5 assuming not too different from 2010.
Yes I have a 2010 2.5
If you could post some pics, Would be appreciated.
it does look easy, I bought the little fuel line removal tool to, I bought new heater hoses so when I drain coolant I’ll replace them also..

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is hard to tell from your close up pics, but egr pipe looks different than mine. Mine needed to be removed at both ends since the pipe continued 3" into intake mani.

·
Registered
187 Posts
good idea to clean carbon from intake, TB, egr system and tube, while you are in there. i removed the variable runner valves as well just to clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't unplug the wires to Throttle body because some cars require a relearn if disconnected.
Wow what a difference from the 10 to the 14. My egr seems to be hard piped.
it looks like your intake uses different gaskets also..
Did you add a intake spacer?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
194 Posts
I have determined that it is the o rings on the cross over pipe..
I have cleaned and dried all the coolant off the top of the engine..
when the car sits and cools off the coolant leaks.. It pools around the bottom flanges of the pipe..
I have searched all over the interweb and cannot find any manuals or DIY on a gen 4 2010 Outback with plastic intake..
The stealer quoted me $650 to do the job, With my back hurting after bending over the engine, I’m thinking it might be worth it..
I've done it on a a few 2006 and older subaru's and not as fun a job as it sounds. Specially when the bolts break from rust. $650 isn't terrible if you can afford it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've done it on a a few 2006 and older subaru's and not as fun a job as it sounds. Specially when the bolts break from rust. $650 isn't terrible if you can afford it.
The more I think about this, I might just have it done.
There is a local shop that specializes in Subi, After hearing about bolts snapping.
My wife just keeps telling me to sell the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more I think about this, I might just have it done.
There is a local shop that specializes in Subi, After hearing about bolts snapping.
My wife just keeps telling me to sell the car.
And the other reason is I can’t find any videos or instructions on 2010-2012. Seems those two years are different from 13-14

·
Registered
187 Posts
I dont have a good pic of egr pipe, but it is stainless steel, runs almost vertical, and top port to intake is just under TB. Yes I tried the intake spacers; the engine felt like it got a 2hp gain at all rpms lol, 1 hp of which was probably from all the cleaning, and the other from hot rodding the throttle body😜. The engine starts easier, runs super smooth, throttle tip in transition is awesome, no flat spots in rev range, runs better than new at 108k miles.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,505 Posts
And the other reason is I can’t find any videos or instructions on 2010-2012. Seems those two years are different from 13-14
CORRECT!!! Make no mistake, the GEN4 Outbacks have two distinct flavors of engine.
2010-2012 Is the ol "EJ25" engine proven since 1989 (The head-gasket issues were mostly resolved)
2013 started the totally new FB25 engine with oil-consumption (at least the HG issues were gone)
2014 oil-consumption on FB25 engine mostly resolved.

·
Registered
187 Posts
sorry mine is different and not much help. i did find a post that said the crossover pipe has an oring type gasket and sometimes can be tightened to fix leak. These cars seem very straight fwd to work on mechanically, but your call.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
526 Posts
I just had the coolant crossover pipe replaced as part of the 10-year service; it was leaking. The service department quoted me $785 for the job, but charged me far less ($585) as the technician was already into the engine for the timing belt replacement.

Reactions: Flood1913
1 - 18 of 18 Posts