Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2010 3.6R outback with euro specs, 80k miles, that have a random electric issue on the ON position.

About 6 months ago it refused to start just one time. A month later happened the same 3 days in a row. 3 months later happened 2-3 every week, and that is the state right now.

The dealer wasn't able to diagnose the issue, because was hard to reproduce.

This is what I know so far:
-It happens at the ON position (push start)
-Happens both if I switch the car from off->acc-> to on position or try to start it from off position.
-Some times the cluster gauge won't do the ON sequence. Some times it dies in the middle of the ON sequence (hazards lights on->needle movement->backlight on)
-When fails, have to try about 5 times until turns ON. After that, at least for several hours, it won't fail again.
-No issues while the car is running.

Normal ON position:

When won't turn ON (The sequence here starts with the car on the ACC position then ON (failed to OFF), then I tried again ACC->ON (failed to OFF) ) :

--
Pablo

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,648 Posts
Haven't.run into this yet with a push button start, but I'd be inclined to think that it is the switch itself, or communication between the switch and the Integrated Unit which turns everything on.

Did the dealer run a full systems scan of the car checking all the modules for faults?

·
Premium Member
16,648 Posts
I'm not talking about checking the engine module. I'm talking about all of them that control everything on the car; ECM, TCM, ABS/VSC, BCM/Integrated Module, Keyless, Tailgate, Park Brake, HVAC, etc......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not talking about checking the engine module. I'm talking about all of them that control everything on the car; ECM, TCM, ABS/VSC, BCM/Integrated Module, Keyless, Tailgate, Park Brake, HVAC, etc......
I hope they did that, is official Subaru dealer, as they told me they can't replicate the fault or find a fault with the scan.

·
Premium Member
16,648 Posts
The techs at Subaru Dealerships here do not automatically do a full scan of all the systems on the car. They aren't that smart, really. You may want to ask the service department manager if they scanned all the computers on the car to see if there's any codes/faults recorded. Some of them will set faults and not turn on a warning lamp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The techs at Subaru Dealerships here do not automatically do a full scan of all the systems on the car. They aren't that smart, really. You may want to ask the service department manager if they scanned all the computers on the car to see if there's any codes/faults recorded. Some of them will set faults and not turn on a warning lamp.
I will try another dealer this time.
Meanwhile I tested some things and I found:
-about 0.3 volts drop on the negative battery terminal to chassis with the car off.
-With a phone charger with a volt meter on the 12v accessory plug I found the car is not charging the battery if I turn off the HVAC while moving. Seems this thing have a smart not so smart charging system.

Could be a bad ground wire + the “smart charging system” and the load of the mcintosh system

·
Premium Member
16,648 Posts
Bad grounding on the car will not allow the alternator to function properly. Since the grounds are weak to the body you're probably also have a weak ground to the block. Given weak grounding there's a good chance that your battery amperage output is low so if you have something to test that with do that. The battery should be putting out what the cold cranking amp rating is or higher.

After the battery and cable conditions fixed then you could test the alternator with and without a load to see if it's working properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still failing randomly. Looking on pictures I took 5 months ago I noticed today what seems like a relay half way in?

Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Bumper

is in the correct position or is not fully seated?
The parts diagram says that one is the fuel pump relay, and above are the etc relay and the egi main relay 2 relays, all at the same height.
Could this cause a random no power at the on position?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4 months before started with this the car was at a dealership I didn’t know for a headlight change by the insurance company.
The most reasonable reason I think of is someone at that dealership took the relays to test them on another car with engine damage.
The question now is if those are my relays. Should I just seat them properly or play safe and replace the 3?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts