Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6 Limited, 2005 Outback LL Bean 3.0.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While changing the passenger side lowbeam bulb on my 2010 Outback 3.6, the wire bulbholder broke off and fell into the headlight housing. Not being able to secure the bulb, I proceeded to tear the front end of my car apart to remove the headlight. I was thinking that I may have to replace the whole headlight as I was unsure how to secure the bulb without hot gluing it or something more cheesey. Looking at where the plastic part that the hold down pivots on (which is actually what broke), I decided to try using a small washer that would fit on the hold down screw. I slightly bent the washer so that it would clamp down on the hold down bracket and put it all back together. The hold down bracket now freely pivots under the washer and holds the headlamp securely. Hope this helps someone in the same situation.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
Steve53,

Well done! There's nothing like re-engineering a broken part to do the job it was intended to do, ... and it cost you nothing but some thought, a screw and a washer. Sounds like a savings of about $250 for a new headlight assembly.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6 Limited, 2005 Outback LL Bean 3.0.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was pretty happy with the result. Only owned the car for about 4 months and have changed both headlight bulbs. After reading this forum about the 2010-2013 (possibly others also) eating headlight bulbs, I was worried about having to change them out on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
Steve53,

Be aware that there is a heavy duty bulb available with the same number, but it has an extra letter or two after the number. The HD bulb lasts much longer and was designed to cure just this issue.

I can't say whether Subaru dealers have them or not. I can't recall what the letter/s are but it was in a thread I saw here or at another subie forum in the last 6 months or so. Might be worth doing some research.

I do know that my last OBW (a 2012) went through headlight bulbs about every 18 months or so, but I had them turned on all of the time, day or night. I never got around to finding them as I traded up to this 2017 shortly thereafter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts