Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'10 OB Premium - Blue
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took the plunge a couple months ago and purchased a 2010 OB 2.5i premium that was a lease vehicle - my first Subie purchase. I've been happy with the car so far and as my mileage was approaching 30k I contacted my local dealer to get get the scheduled maintenance done.

They wanted right around $300 to perform the service. Another $30 or so if I wanted the cabin filter replaced.

Looking at the schedule there's a lot to do but much of it appears to be "inspect" rather than replace. Some of the schedule just didn't seem necessary (pcv valve replace? brake fluid replace? At 30k?)

I purchased an air filter for $12 from a local parts store, had a coupon for a free oil change at the dealer and paid $20 to rotate the tires. And the dealer did a "17-point inspection" on the car including brake pad thickness, tire tread wear, etc. Everything was fine.

I'm sure many on this forum do their own service. I don't. So was I wrong not performing the full scheduled service at the dealer? Will my warranty suffer at all?

Thanks all and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
That's nothing, when I bought my outback the dealer tried selling me a $1k maintenance package for 100% free maintenance up to 30k miles.

His selling point was trying to tell me the 30k maintenance alone costs $1,100.

I opened the service book right in front of him and went line by line on the recommended items for 30k (which almost all of them are only inspect) and asked how that could possibly add up to $1,100 worth of work. He was adamant that it was and that price was only to inspect, if anything went wrong it would be extra.

Needless to say I laughed at him, told him I didn't want ANY of his extra packages and told him to take off anything extra so I can get my keys and leave.

Oh he also told me that an oil change every 7,500 miles was $89.95, but the 7500 maintenance was $250 plus disposal fees!

I won't be taking my outback back there for maintenance ever. There's a more reputable subaru dealer the same distance but opposite direction as me that my neighbors re commend.

$300 sounds good compared to $1,100! I agree though, most of the work can be done yourself if you are a little mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I finally took the plunge a couple months ago and purchased a 2010 OB 2.5i premium that was a lease vehicle - my first Subie purchase. I've been happy with the car so far and as my mileage was approaching 30k I contacted my local dealer to get get the scheduled maintenance done.

They wanted right around $300 to perform the service. Another $30 or so if I wanted the cabin filter replaced.
$300 is actually a good price, but way more than doing it yourself.

Looking at the schedule there's a lot to do but much of it appears to be "inspect" rather than replace. Some of the schedule just didn't seem necessary (pcv valve replace? brake fluid replace? At 30k?)
Your manual actually says to replace the brake fluid at 30k or 30 months. You would be wise to change it. That's not a Subaru thing either, that's almost all cars. The problem is the fluid degrades with water (condensation from temperature differential... purists will say that's not quite right but it's the quick way to explain it). PVC, not so sure. Usually it's needed when it gets clogged, you might need one... might not. There are way to test them.

I purchased an air filter for $12 from a local parts store, had a coupon for a free oil change at the dealer and paid $20 to rotate the tires. And the dealer did a "17-point inspection" on the car including brake pad thickness, tire tread wear, etc. Everything was fine.

I'm sure many on this forum do their own service. I don't. So was I wrong not performing the full scheduled service at the dealer? Will my warranty suffer at all?

Thanks all and Happy Holidays!
Air filter and cabin filter are different if you didn't know that. There is also an AC filter. They can not deny a warranty if you follow the book and save your receipts. It is always a good idea to follow the manual, if you don't it gives them room to wiggle out of it.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,465 Posts
The cost of maintenance at the dealer is also to pay for the tech time to perform the checks and the service manager's commission.

Brake fluid, yes. Sooner than the maintenance schedule in high humidity climates.
Cabin Filter, when necessary. I have yet to find one aftermarket, so either you purchase it yourself and install or pay the dealer.
Air Filter is aa necessary also.
Tire rotation is every 10k
Alignment - First one at 30k, checks every 30k after the first one or if the suspension is disassembled/reassembled for any repair.
Lube all door hinges and locks. You can do this at home with WD-40. Do NOT use the graphite lube on any lock. It causes problems.
PCV valve usually can be cleaned unless the spring breaks. Avg lifespan is 30k.
Throttle body and intake cleaning every 15-20k to remove carbon. Sooner if you use the cheap gasolines and oils.
Transmission and differentials vary by year and type, so just look into the manual's guide.
Spark plugs every 105k
Timing belt the same as sparks
Thermostat @100k then every 50-75k after.
Coolant same as thermostat
AC dryer only needs to be replaced in the event of a compressor failure or massive leak. Have yet to see a major AC compressor failure on a Subaru. Mostly small leaks. Had one condenser when the owner got a little wild offroad. How often does that happen?

You can decline any service at the dealer and reduce cost. Warranty coverage applicability is proven with record and not just dealer record. You can do it yourself or at any facility of your choice, like a "mom & pop". Majority of the shops in business today have the exact same access to the maintenance schedule that the manufacturers post and follow the same guidelines. It just tends to be cheaper at the "mom & pop".

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Yep......

....sounds like the typical "stealership" experience I have had more than once, only at other stealers other than Subaru.

You have to watch every dollar these days. If that means doing it yourself or having your local mechanic doing it, then that's what must be done.

I believe, if you document everything, you can have others - instead of the stealership - do the work without losing your warranty. I change my own oil most of the time.

I keep all paid-receipts for oil, filters, etc. It's a no-brainer, as most of the parts I buy actually have my year, make and model of car printed right above the items I purchase right on the charge-slip to my wholesale account!

Also, unless you or someone you let drive your vehicle is hard on vehicles, you typically won't have any major-expense related items going during the time the warranty is in effect. I have purchased more new cars than I can count and I only ever needed the warranty once or twice. Both times, it had nothing to do with whether I did any work on the car or the stealer did the work, the famous head-gasket would be one illustration (although as far as I know, my head gaskets never leaked).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts