Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've read about the sensitivity of the Subaru AWD transmissions and have read where people state their owner's manual (older model OB's) says when using the spare tire (donut) they must remove a fuse to disengage the all-wheel drive and turn the OB into a FWD vehicle, that the tranny can be damaged due the difference in circumfrance of the donut versus the stock wheels. I've looked through the manual on my 2010 OB MT but cannot locate anything stating the necessity to change it into a FWD vehicle by removing a fuse when using the spare tire.

The manual does mention the spare is to be:

• Used only temporarily (I can live with that)
  • Used only at speeds under 50 MPH (I can live with that)
  • Used ONLY on a rear wheel. :gasp: If a front tire is punctured replace the front wheel with a rear wheel and put the spare tire on the rear (that is truly great news - I love changing tires not once, but twice, especially when the weather is nasty (I can live with that, but it doesn't make me smile) :mad:
Can anybody tell me if the removal of a fuse when using the spare is no longer an issue with the 2010 OB versus the older models?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
the fuse-during-spare-tire-ops thing was specific to the 4EAT transmission, so it is not applicable to your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Rasterman.

Too bad the using of the spare tire only on the rear isn't 4EAT applicable only...

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
For much of the buying public, the fix for a flat tire is to call a towtruck and wait.

Lots of new cars don't even include spares. Some don't include a place to carry a spare, let alone the tire itself. I feel lucky that Subaru still leaves enough emergency tools to get out of it alone, even if it has restrictions and unusual inconveniences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
mpnret
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing