Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so its reached the point I need to replace struts. The 2010 OEM stuff is well known to be under damped and otherwise terrible.

Anyone go with something else?

Anychance the newer oem stuff say 2015 struts are different? Improved? And fit a 2010?

Does Blistien offer something that fits?

Thoughts appreciated

I would go full assembly replacement. My springs are done thats part of my issue. Our OB shleps lots of stuff/people and the springs are done.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Ok so its reached the point I need to replace struts. The 2010 OEM stuff is well known to be under damped and otherwise terrible.

Anychance the newer oem stuff say 2015 struts are different? And fit a 2010?

Thoughts appreciated
The 2015 (21mm) has a much smaller front sway bar than the 2010-2012 (24mm) the 2013-2014 (26mm). This means either the Gen5 is better dampened. Or the chassis dynamics or CG is different enough to warrant a smaller front bar.

I don/t know if they will fit, or if they are indeed any different.

You are probably not interested in an performance Leggy set up that is spaced back up the OB height? Probably Not.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No biggest factor is getting my arse back to ride height and ability to haul people and gear again. The blue ox is dragging arse these days

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
No biggest factor is getting my arse back to ride height and ability to haul people and gear again. The blue ox is dragging arse these days

@Flat6Brick is pretty happy with this set up.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...r-lowering-springs-installed-17-ob-3-6-a.html

I'm sure they have an application for the 2010-2012 Legacy. Then 2" strut spacers at all 4 corners should get you back up. However, I have zero personal experience, but flat6brick could talk to the specifics.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,529 Posts
For the worn springs and heavy load, wouldn't the heavy duty King Springs be a good solution?
Struts alone will not solve the ride height challenge with passengers and gear. That is entirely on the springs. More spring rate also helps with the under-damped situation.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the worn springs and heavy load, wouldn't the heavy duty King Springs be a good solution?
Struts alone will not solve the ride height challenge with passengers and gear. That is entirely on the springs. More spring rate also helps with the under-damped situation.
Struts in the 10’s were way way under damped to start with no wont impact ride height. My stock springs were fine but 100k later they can hardly keep 4 passengers off the rear bump stops

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
The King and Rallitek offerings are significantly different in ride quality. especially small bump action. The KYB dampers don't provide much unless activated. Meaning an HD set up in the rear ends up feeling like an empty 3/4 RAM, when empty. That's pretty rough for those who know either the truck or the King set up.

Your point is a good one. I suggested the RS-R Leggy set up (spaced back up) because these springs are a sport package design to work with the stock dampening rate. The ride quality/handling should step up without added harshness.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shorter travel legacy set up blocked is a no go. Towing a trailer and loaded travel length matters.

Im most likely going Rallitec the spring rate only bumps the stiffness by 18% and the stock springs are far from stiff even when new. Especially given our car is loaded most of the time. I found some old threads discussing their stuff but nothing on the newer body style.

Speaking with the rallitec guys the most common buyer is only doing rears to address the load hauling aspect. Which is my issue

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
I think you are limited to KYB dampers then, or the lesser equivalents.

I wonder the real difference in stroke length though. The height is determined by not only the height of the spring, but also the perch on the damper. If its a 2" difference, then that's significant. If it's 3/4", then maybe not.

I am just brainstorming a way to find a better damper than a stock KYB.

Since this is where we started.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree kyb shocks arent great. But by the time those need to be addressed I’ll be in a Ascent or something else.

I have had two legacy’s the stroke length is shorter hence the spacers. Towing and hauling butts and gear every bit matters.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Stumbled across these on CL.
They're not mine, and I know nothing about BCs but the coilover design would allow you to set the spring preload and you could even change the spring to a higher rate if needed.

https://austin.craigslist.org/pts/d/bc-racing-coilovers-2010/6438079939.html
I would go on record as to say (from what I know of SS) he would hate the BCs. Especially day to day when unloaded.

I have a set. I love them, but they are not family car friendly. Pretty dang stiff.

For example, most Gen3 performance guys have big sway bars and hard bushings. My XT has the BCs and stock bars. My own 85d bushing in the rear, but stock FSB bushing. My car is pretty much a flat brick.

I would expect the BCs for any generation to be the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts