Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired an Outback, 150000k miles 5EAT transmission, and after about 3 weeks of to and from work, it developed a notable shudder. 15-2000 rpms. Accelerating stops the shudder, but it returns when your putting 35 behind a grandma. I have brought to a local transmission shop and was told torque converter is not working properly.

my questions are one, would the torque converter going out compromise my transmission enough to need an entirely new one.

2, is it worth it ?

3, is it worth it lol

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactive
690 Posts
Read up on the 5EAT torque converter shudder - It is well documented on here and it will give you some insight.

The trans isn't the issue it is isolated to the TC. I was able to completely fix mine 3-4 months after I flushed it with Amsoil Signatire Series ATF. Others had that only reduce the issue but not make it go away completely.

I'd recommend you try the same. If it is still annoying you enough then put in a new updated Subie TC and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,503 Posts
1. make sure it is not your drive shaft
2. make sure it is not our mounts
3. swapping it will be 1100 and change

yes it is worth it and no it will not kill the trans

1 - 6 of 6 Posts