Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Outback only has three working windows. The problem started slowly. First the front passenger window quit working. Only the drivers side could open it. Then the drivers side and the back passenger window did the same. Eventually, not even the main drivers switch will open or close them. To date, the rear passenger window still operates normally with its own switch and the main drivers switch. Please, anyone got any ideas? Drive-thru's suck!!!

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,577 Posts
Usually this is from a dead battery and they need to be reset, but your symptoms sound more like worn out regulators, which was more common on older cars. Last time I had to replace a regulator was on an 04 Accord, so your 2010 is not too far from that date range. As far as resetting the windows, I thought that was done by powering up and down with the window switch at the respective door in order to restore operation from the driver's control; even though your described symptoms aren't a perfect fit, it doesn't hurt to try. Hopefully you've done the obvious like checking fuses and the window lockout switch on the driver's door; try cycling that window lockout switch about 20 times just in case it's a dirty contact. Other than that, I'm still suspecting worn out regulators, hopefully someone more experienced and smarter with that vintage of Subarus will chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually this is from a dead battery and they need to be reset, but your symptoms sound more like worn out regulators, which was more common on older cars. Last time I had to replace a regulator was on an 04 Accord, so your 2010 is not too far from that date range. As far as resetting the windows, I thought that was done by powering up and down with the window switch at the respective door in order to restore operation from the driver's control; even though your described symptoms aren't a perfect fit, it doesn't hurt to try. Hopefully you've done the obvious like checking fuses and the window lockout switch on the driver's door; try cycling that window lockout switch about 20 times just in case it's a dirty contact. Other than that, I'm still suspecting worn out regulators, hopefully someone more experienced and smarter with that vintage of Subarus will chime in.
Thanks a lot. I have done the easy stuff and checked fuses. I appreciate the input. Will the regulators be a challenge?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,577 Posts
Thanks a lot. I have done the easy stuff and checked fuses. I appreciate the input. Will the regulators be a challenge?
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Usually about $100 each plus an hour labor. I’ve done a few myself, and have also paid dealers to do some. It’s been a while, so the part cost now might be higher than $100.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
First the front passenger window quit working. Only the drivers side could open it. Then the drivers side and the back passenger window did the same. Eventually, not even the main drivers switch will open or close them. To date, the rear passenger window still operates normally with its own switch and the main drivers switch.
All the window motor switching goes through both the driver door master switches and the switches on each individual door. (See attached sample wiring diagram.) A common problem related to one switch working (e.g. the one on the driver's door) but not the other (the one on the other door) is one of the two switches being faulty, often the one in the driver's door.

Of course, it is possible that the window regulator motors are failing, but I tend to think having three fail in fairly quick order would be unusual. On the other hand, the failing switch possibility is not unusual; there's a good number of cases here over the years. Before heading into replacing the regulators, the voltage going to the motors should be verified to ensure the switches are working properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,612 Posts
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Usually about $100 each plus an hour labor. I’ve done a few myself, and have also paid dealers to do some. It’s been a while, so the part cost now might be higher than $100.
Note that body shops can do work like this, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts