Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help in regards to some problems my 2010 Outback with the 6speed manual transmission is having.

Issues:
1. Gear indicator in the center display disappears.
2. No cruise control when the gear indicator isn't there.
3. Brake light in center display flashes
4. Car sometimes stalls out when coming to a stop.

These issues aren't always constant and only seem to happen on warmer days or when the car has been driven for a while.

Backstory: In June I had some major maintenance done on my car including head gaskets, timing belt, tensioners, water pump, and valve covers. After I got my car back it was running great, actually felt like it had some power. A few weeks after I got my car I went on a 1,000+ mile trip to southern Utah. On the drive down my car did wonderfully; no issues what so ever. However on my drive home I started having issues. The gear indicator in the center console disappears and I no longer have cruise control when that happens. The brake light in the center display flashes. The car will sometimes stall out when I come to a stop. My mechanic said there are a bunch of computer codes he's not equipped to deal with and suggested I take it to the dealer. The dealer said the mechanics work for my head gaskets is shoddy and said to take it back and have my mechanic inspect his work. My mechanic inspects his work and says it's fine and said it looks like an electrical issue. He suggests I take it to another mechanic who is better with electronics. I take it to Tom, the other mechanic, and he was actually more helpful. Tom drove my car around but couldn't get the issues to come up. I thought maybe they didn't occur because it was a much colder day and my issues seem to happen on hot days. Tom thinks the clutch pedal sensor may be out of whack and said when the gear indicator light goes out to play with the clutch(push it way down, pull it up, move it side to side). I do this and nothing changes. The car still drives with issues-- only shifting between gears is a little rougher. I'm not entirely sure what the underlying issues are and would love to hear any suggestions from the community.

Thanks!

Corey

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
kinda wondering about battery and alternator health but , it seems if it was an issue - 3 mechanics would have spotted it!

how old is the battery? what part of the country do you live in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My battery is about a year and a half old. I replaced the battery because it kept dying, I haven't had issues since I replaced it. The original mechanic thought it was an alternator issue at first but I guess nothing came of it. I live in Boise, ID.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
miles on car? If you coasted the last 5-10 feet to a stop after selecting neutral, would the car stall?

A parts store should be able to read codes - maybe getting any stored or pending codes would guide us - post them here. (they might look like P0420, or some Pxxx format)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has the same problem. It started after I had some front end damage. I had the code read and it points towards the park/neutral safety switch. It seems like a wiring issue. Maybe a loose wire or a loose connection. Eventually while on long road trips the check engine light and numerous other lights come on. I’ve been driving it like this for almost two yrs now and the problem seems to progressively getting better, stalling less. I’m going to check wiring and test neutral safety switch. If anyone has found a fix to this please share.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts