Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my OB in for oil change and was advised there was uneven tire wear and they would check to see if it needed an alignment. They did the alignment. Mileage was 35000. When I got the car back, the complimentary multipoint walk-around inspection sheet showed all tires OK and no wear pattern/damage was noted. The alignment printout showed that, before the alignment, the right rear toe was -0.01 in., which was 0.01 in. off the specified range of 0.00-0.08 in. There were no problems on the left side and the right front was within range. When I asked the technician about it, he said that, when he corrected the right rear, the right front went out of range by .01 and so he had to adjust that as well, even though before the adjustment to the right rear, it was in range. I don't know if this makes sense and if the alignment was necessary - I hadn't noticed any problem steering, etc. - or if it was just done so they could add to my bill. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I took my OB in for oil change and was advised there was uneven tire wear and they would check to see if it needed an alignment. They did the alignment. Mileage was 35000. When I got the car back, the complimentary multipoint walk-around inspection sheet showed all tires OK and no wear pattern/damage was noted. The alignment printout showed that, before the alignment, the right rear toe was -0.01 in., which was 0.01 in. off the specified range of 0.00-0.08 in. There were no problems on the left side and the right front was within range. When I asked the technician about it, he said that, when he corrected the right rear, the right front went out of range by .01 and so he had to adjust that as well, even though before the adjustment to the right rear, it was in range. I don't know if this makes sense and if the alignment was necessary - I hadn't noticed any problem steering, etc. - or if it was just done so they could add to my bill. Any advice would be appreciated.
How many times did you rotate your tires during the 35,000 miles? The new gen 4 OB seems to need the tires rotated far more than the older gen cars to keep the tires wearing even. Fronts will wear down the outer shoulder of the tires very common for all tall riding independent front suspension cars my Sequoia is this way also. The rear tires on the OB will also wear hard depending on how often you drive with a heavy load vs empty. OB owners who tow heavy trailers and haul a packed car on a regular basis actually will go and have the rear end of the car aligned with some weight packed in the back of the car so the rear wheels ride true when the car is heavy vs empty.

Also after going through three alignments on my last subaru at 140K which was the first time it needed it - the very respected shop and owner explained to me that alignments is less about numbers and more of an art and a really good shop will tell you that it might take more than one or two tries to get your car strait and set up the way you want it.

He also said if the tires are wearing even and you have no complaints NEVER get it alined just because - given that any change might cause you more issues than you had prior.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts