Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 2010 outback 2.5i, 2012 Legacy, 2011 Imprezza. Past: 2008 Imprezza, 2004 Outback, 1996 outback, 1988 GL-10
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i lowered my windows yesterday because it was great weather and when I went to raise them nothing happened. I checked the driver side interior panel for all 4 windows breakers and they were fine. There was listed a 30 amp windows main that didn't seem to be there. checked the engine compartment fuse box and I swapped out the windows relay for the fog relay and it didn't help. The locks work and I think the seat works. Is there a separate breaker in the engine box I am missing? Its a 2010 with 50,000 so its out of warranty.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
If none of the windows work, in the main fuse box in the engine compartment there are a number of large square fuses identified by the letters "SBF". Pull SBF-10 (30 Amps) and check it for continuity.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Are you sure you didn't just accidentally hit the window lock button? Even if you didn't, I would play with that, and start there checking the circuits........It is one of the few things that all the windows have in common......

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Are you sure you didn't just accidentally hit the window lock button?
I was under the impression that the window lock button only affects the other three passenger windows, not the driver's. It could indeed be the button, but only if the driver window works while the others don't. Also, when I looked at the wiring diagrams I found that the driver window is not wired through the lock switch.

We'll have to wait for clarification of the situation from the OP.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If the window controls involve any sort of logic contained someplace very possible that you need to reset what ever it is that contains the logic assuming the fuses are all intact.

Even if your outside your warranty Subaru should easily step up and handle it at no cost to you given this is a very strange and odd issue that shouldn't be happening

·
Registered
Current: 2010 outback 2.5i, 2012 Legacy, 2011 Imprezza. Past: 2008 Imprezza, 2004 Outback, 1996 outback, 1988 GL-10
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you were 100% right on the slow burn fuse being blown. Replaced and its working now. Had to use the tall fuse but I don't care. Prolly burned out because the drivers side window has that stupid mechanism where if you touch it it goes all the way up or down and doesn't seem to want to stop... Can I disable that feature or am I stuck with it?? you would think that they would label it in the box or have a resource online for this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and yes Plain OM the drivers window isnt wired through the child window lock, so since all 4 don't work, nor do they work at the door the problem must be before the relay so you correctly deduced it was the slow burn fuse. In the old days they had the 30A in the passenger compartment fuse box on the bottom right, and when I took that one out for the cigarette lighter the windows and seats, etc died, lmao.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
. . . Prolly burned out because the drivers side window has that stupid mechanism where if you touch it it goes all the way up or down and doesn't seem to want to stop... Can I disable that feature or am I stuck with it?? you would think that they would label it in the box or have a resource online for this.
It's the "auto up/down" function, and it (or variants of it) has been around for a long time.

It's rare for that SBF to blow.

When this happened, had you lowered several windows at the exact same time? I ask because the SBF is a 30 Amp which, collectively powers all the windows, but the drivers' window system has it's own additional 20 Amp fuse. (It's fuse #3, 20 Amps, in the in-cabin fuse panel.) If the auto up/down function on the driver's door itself were a problem, that 20 Amp fuse should have blown before the SBF. But I could see the SBF being heavily loaded if all four window buttons were pressed at the same time.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Prolly burned out because the drivers side window has that stupid mechanism where if you touch it it goes all the way up or down and doesn't seem to want to stop... Can I disable that feature or am I stuck with it??
Please forgive the "that's obvious" post. I've had this feature in all of most recent cars, including my current 2000 Outback base model. Not sure how it works in the 2010, but I've found that one hard fairly sustained (1-2 secs) press on the button and release activates the feature. But a slower movement lets the window operate like the others. Maybe it's just a matter of "finger training."

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
On my 2007, moving the button part way down retains manual control. Pushing it all the way down (no time factor involved that I've noticed) engages the auto-down function. But you're right, it does require awareness and some control.

It appears to be the same in the 4th Gen.

From the 2011 Owners Manual, page 2-21:

For the driver's window: "To open:
Press the switch down lightly and hold it.
The window will open as long as the
switch is held.
This switch also has a one-touch auto
down function that allows the window to
be opened fully without holding the switch.
Press the switch down until it clicks and
release it, and the window will fully open.
To stop the window halfway, pull the
switch up lightly."

Some 4th Gen have an auto up function as well, which uses the same technique.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts