Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very odd thing happen to me recently. While working on my starter, my arm was against a vacuum line and I heard a CRACK. The plastic check valve that plugs into the brake booster next to the master cylinder had snapped in two, exposing the rubber diaphragm inside.

I looked online for a part number but couldn't find it. Next day I called the dealer and they couldn't find it. Apparently, this "cheap little valve" only comes as part of the entire brake booster unit and sells for upwards of $300!! Mind you, it is easy to remove from the end of the vacuum hose and pry out of the rubber grommet in the brake booster and it looks like it should cost $2. This is not the type that is built internally within the vacuum hose. It plugs into the end of a vacuum hose and then into a rubber grommet in the brake booster next to the master cylinder.

Options...pay the $300 and replace the whole darn booster unit, try to repair it (used two different "weld" glues and an epoxy without success) or look for an alternative. Well, this is just a one way check valve as found in many GM cars so I checked online and found a Dorman part called a "Universal Power Brake Check Valve & Grommets" Item#80189. Bought it at my local Pep Boys for $5.99 It was a drop in fit on both ends. I didn't even need to use the replacement rubber grommet. Car runs fine and brakes are good, just like before it all happened.

So, for that RARE time that someone needs this part, hope this helps!

BTW: symptoms of a bad/damaged valve are idle problems as in a vacuum leak and poor braking.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,763 Posts
I thought it was built into the hose?

if there's enough 'nipple' left to attach a hose, I think Ford has separate valves - maybe you could build your own hose with a valve in the middle ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts