Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i 184k
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in march I had a multi point inspection performed at my local dealer (about a hour away) and they noticed a coolant leak/seepage from the coolant crossover pipe o-rings. I figured I could put it off for awhile because I had just paid $400 for them to fix a broken sensor. For seven months I didn't notice much more leaking, until yesterday when I checked I noticed a little puddle at the o-ring.

The dealer quoted me $500 before tax to fix. I'm hoping they can also change my valve cover gaskets out and serp belt as well, seeing that they have to take the engine out anyways. Do you think they can get this done in one day? After watching YouTube videos on how to solve this issue, it seems like a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,322 Posts
If you are talking about the crossover pipe underneath the intake manifold, the engine doesn't need to come out. The intake is removed to replace the o-rings on the pipe. Easy job and it only takes a 2-3 hours max.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Even if it's a coolant crossover down below (did the 10-12 still have an oil cooler...?), it does not require engine removal.

If you're slightly mechanically inclined, slightly brave and have a weekend free, you can do this on a Saturday. The 10-12 intakes are (arguably) easier to remove than the earlier versions, and there's less ancillary parts to remove in the process. Plus, you can swap your belt while the upper rad hose is off.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,715 Posts
be careful when removing the bolts for the crossover pipe, they can snap

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,715 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts