Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife has about 48k miles...
but every time I change the the oil, it looks I lost qt of oil.
I just put in mobil 1 extend performance cause I want to change to oil less
you guys have this problem?
it seems like the boxer engine is burning it off

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
How long are you going between LOF changes and what oil are you putting in? (Keep in mind that the mechanic might not be bringing the oil completely up to the full mark during servicing.)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
^ what he said - very possible that its not exactly 100% full to start with after the change and refill. And 1 quart loss over say 7000 miles is actually pretty good and really not worth worrying about. Our VW with 56,000 on it burns just shy of 3quarts in 6000 miles. Every Toyota I've owned has burned about 1 to 2 quarts every 4000 miles.

By far the VW is the worst but given the lacking quality in VW products its not a big surprise and it runs just fine as long as I make sure it has oil.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
he gave you guys a straight line and you're just gonna let it lay there?

lol!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Also, it is generally a good idea to check your oil once in a while. If it runs dry over 6 months without ever being looked at...there isn't going to be much sympathy.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
394 Posts
You can reduce oil consumption by going to an oil that's both more viscous AND less volatile. The trade off is that fuel efficiency will be ever so slightly reduced. Assuming you're using the Mobil 1/5w-30, Extended Performance, you could step up to the slightly thicker Mobil 1/10w-30, High Mileage(HM) oil. You can safely ignore the HM part, which is mostly advertising. However the HM 10w-30 meets the ACEA (European), A3/B3 specification. So it's about 10% thicker than what you're using - even though both oils fall within the SAE 30 weight range. This is a hard concept for many people to grasp, but it happens to be true.

TS

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I run 10-30 either Mobile 1 during the summers we have hot temps and generally do long trips and long hot climbs so synthetic in the summer for the added oil stability.

Winters I generally run 10-30 non synthetic chevron brand from costco. Been doing this with the 2010 for 48K and same goes for the 2010 Legacy which is at 44K. Did the same thing with our 2001 2.5 too. Oil use is so little its hard to tell if they are using any. With all three of those cars which all have engines from the same design family. Zero issues.

The lighter weight oils the 0 and 5 weight's are sort of a new thing auto makers are doing in the search for improved mileage. Toyota is even running 0w oils in the 4.7L V8's which just a couple of years ago were running 10-30. No change to the engine - just a change in trying to post higher EPA mileage numbers.

With the subaru's I really haven't seen much of a difference in mileage if there is any its pretty small and driving conditions and style will impact mileage more than the oil weight being used.

·
Registered
44 Posts
^ what he said - very possible that its not exactly 100% full to start with after the change and refill. And 1 quart loss over say 7000 miles is actually pretty good and really not worth worrying about. Our VW with 56,000 on it burns just shy of 3quarts in 6000 miles. Every Toyota I've owned has burned about 1 to 2 quarts every 4000 miles.

By far the VW is the worst but given the lacking quality in VW products its not a big surprise and it runs just fine as long as I make sure it has oil.
"And 1 quart loss over say 7000 miles is actually pretty good and really not worth worrying about."

You're insane.
After reading your post on these forums I believe you are making most of this **** up. 9 posts so far today and a total of 37 post yesterday. I think you just like to read your own stuff.

A VW with 56k on it burning 3 quarts in 6k miles should have been taken into the dealer while still under the factory 50k warranty. And of all the Toyota's I have owned I have never had one burn oil.

If you don't have anything truthful to add please stop posting. You are doing nothing but a disservice to the people visiting this site looking for honest answers.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
"And 1 quart loss over say 7000 miles is actually pretty good and really not worth worrying about."

You're insane.
After reading your post on these forums I believe you are making most of this **** up. 9 posts so far today and a total of 37 post yesterday. I think you just like to read your own stuff.

A VW with 56k on it burning 3 quarts in 6k miles should have been taken into the dealer while still under the factory 50k warranty. And of all the Toyota's I have owned I have never had one burn oil.

If you don't have anything truthful to add please stop posting. You are doing nothing but a disservice to the people visiting this site looking for honest answers.
Highway you have had a boner for me since you joined the forum. How many cars you have right now sitting out front. I have three and a boat over in the marina. I just bought two more last summer for elder family members and care for all of them. I keep an old friend on speed dial who custom builds drag car and boat engines. He's spent years in Europe getting High end car certifications he's the only one who would even touch a neighbors Rare Jag and knew exactly what was up with the car 5 minutes into it.

He also was hired to open the newest Subaru service shop in Northern CA he left after the dealer started the mileage based service packages. Said he wasn't into ripping people off.

The basics of it the 1.8T in the VW is a very oil hungry beast ours likes its oil but its within spec.

The concept that engines don't use or consume oil is a new one that makes no sense. Given they do consume oil some engines more than others but they all consume oil.

·
Registered
394 Posts
SS,

What year is your 1.8L turbo and what car is it in? I have a 2002 Audi TT with the 225 Hp version of the same engine. Oil consumption has been constant since I've owned it, approx 1/2 quart every 5000 miles. I usually top off at this point and its about 1/2 quart low when I change it out after 10k miles. I don't drive like a crazy person but I don't baby it either.

Some of the 2.0L, 115 Hp VW engines had oil consumption issues, but that was a basic design issue with the rings.

Thanks,

TS

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
my wife has about 48k miles...
but every time I change the the oil, it looks I lost qt of oil.
I just put in mobil 1 extend performance cause I want to change to oil less
you guys have this problem?
it seems like the boxer engine is burning it off
I will bite..........48k is actually low mileage, for a wife, and she may not be fully run in yet.

As for the car, no indication of how often the oil is being changed, so hard to respond, but, if it is using a quart in 7500 miles, why not just top it up with a half quart at 4000 miles?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Highway you have had a boner for me since you joined the forum. How many cars you have right now sitting out front. I have three and a boat over in the marina. I just bought two more last summer for elder family members and care for all of them. I keep an old friend on speed dial who custom builds drag car and boat engines. He's spent years in Europe getting High end car certifications he's the only one who would even touch a neighbors Rare Jag and knew exactly what was up with the car 5 minutes into it.

He also was hired to open the newest Subaru service shop in Northern CA he left after the dealer started the mileage based service packages. Said he wasn't into ripping people off.

The basics of it the 1.8T in the VW is a very oil hungry beast ours likes its oil but its within spec.

The concept that engines don't use or consume oil is a new one that makes no sense. Given they do consume oil some engines more than others but they all consume oil.
Nah. I don't have a boner for you. I just know crap when I read it.

I have looked through these forums for issues I am experiencing which include oil consumption, lane wandering, tires and nav issues. And in every thread I have found multiple post form you defending Subaru at every chance you get and dismissing the OP's issue as owner caused or normal for the vehicle without actually adding anything positive or helpful.

And wtf does how many cars or boats I own have to do with anything on a Subaru thread? I think your trying to hard to win the internet.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
yeah, I've read multiple posts of people taking cars (no, not just Subarus) in for high oil consumption. The essence of the results seems to be that, nowadays, a manufacturer will say 1 qt in 1000 to 1200 miles is 'within specs'.

Yeah, it would suck to own that car, but we've read that many times. In the mid/late 70s, i worked with a guy that took his new camaro in for oil consumption of 1qt/900 miles . The told him the spec was 1qt/800.

normal/typical use I'd say would be around a 1qt/3000 miles, but can vary a lot from car to car.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Nah. I don't have a boner for you. I just know bullshit when I read it.

I have looked through these forums for issues I am experiencing which include oil consumption, lane wandering, tires and nav issues. And in every thread I have found multiple post form you defending Subaru at every chance you get and dismissing the OP's issue as owner caused or normal for the vehicle without actually adding anything positive or helpful.

And wtf does how many cars or boats I own have to do with anything on a Subaru thread? I think your trying to hard to win the internet.
Simple when you maintain as many vehicles and engines as I do you learn a thing or two.

#1 a dip stick is very inaccurate way to measure it gives you a ball park thats about it.
1 Quart over 7000 miles and your not 100% sure what it started with could actually be very little oil use.

Oil type and weight can have a dramatic impact on oil use. We have an old Ford on the family ranch ran it years and years on 10-30 then it started using oil like crazy. Everything checked out - we switched to a high mileage weight at the suggestion of above mentioned engine builder and dang if that old Ford was back to hardly using any oil at all.

Lots of factors in why engines use oil but one thing is known for sure they all use oil.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
SS,

What year is your 1.8L turbo and what car is it in? I have a 2002 Audi TT with the 225 Hp version of the same engine. Oil consumption has been constant since I've owned it, approx 1/2 quart every 5000 miles. I usually top off at this point and its about 1/2 quart low when I change it out after 10k miles. I don't drive like a crazy person but I don't baby it either.

Some of the 2.0L, 115 Hp VW engines had oil consumption issues, but that was a basic design issue with the rings.

Thanks,

TS
2001 Jetta top end optioned out package 5spd MT. The 1.8t is actually a pretty cool engine. Wife bought it new in 01. Bit of a waste in the Jetta which is sort of like a suped up Pogo stick with the 1.8T LOL. We had two other 1.8T's in the family ours has the highest oil consumption of the three but ironically its the only one still in the family today. One was blown up by a younger fairly abusive vehicle owner / family member oddly enough he ran it out of oil ha ha. The other one sold with high miles.
A car nut buddy has started buying 1.8T Audi's cheap on Craigs list does the full top to bottom service job on them then flips them for pretty good profit. He likes the 1.8t given its pretty robust and he said it isn't too difficult to work on. Though he said oil use with it seems to run a fairly wide range some are actually pretty low and he said some can seem really high but they all seem to run equally well with few issues as long as the oil is kept up and kept clean.

I was pretty shocked at how much oil the wifes 1.8T goes through. I've tried a few different oils though we don't put enough miles on it for me to really tell if any one oil seems to have a different impact on the rate it uses oil. No leaks except the MT has had a minor leak since day one about every two years I have the local VW dealer top it up about 1/4th quart so far the dealer keeps doing it for free. LOL First and only thing I've ever seen a VW dealer do for free.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've tested (with used oil analysis), six different Amsoil formulations in mine:
0w-30/Series 3000, 5w-30/10w-30/0w-40/5w-40/10w-40. By the way, only two of these oils were tested to the VW 502.00 specification. The 0w-40 synthetic I used is their 4 Stroke oil, intended for snowmobiles, ATV's, Jet Ski's, etc. It performed as well as anything I've used, including the 5w-40 European Formula.

Oil consumption hasn't varied significantly with any of these different grades. So I don't know what to tell you. It's possible your driving conditions are resulting in significant fuel dilution, which would allow the oil to evaporate more easily. I do mostly highway driving in a warm climate, so fuel dilution isn't an issue.

TS

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
Boxter engines by design do burn up more oil even in tight tolerance due to the cylinders being horizontal, these type engines cannot drain oil back as well as other designs can.

Porsche engines have the same issue with oil consumption due to the design and the most scary thing is when owners take the oil fill cap of and see a milky looking goo on the cap and tube leading to the engine. This is due to moisture condensation due to the engine not coming fully up to temp for a longer duration.

Also, at startup we can see a small grey/white puff of smoke. That would be the oil that lingered in the cylinder and passed to the combustion chamber to be burnt of. Once oil pressure climes and engine warms, no smoke can be seen.

So, some oil loss is to be expected, however if it's excessive and it continues and under warranty, I'd be at the dealer to request that the engine be swapped out for a factor rebuilt. They would ship the engine back to Subaru for a forensic exam to find the fault. A factory referb should also have a warranty as well.

Baseline your oil install with filter and go from there. If it is excessive, get the dealer involved. If you hit a brick wall, go to SOA and find out how a referb engine can be sent to the dealer for the one you have documented. If SOA values the brand and stands behind a warranty, then it should be a simple swap.

You should see how many engines I see at the Porsche dealers. One issue that meets a criteria and it's swapped without question. The last big issue was the RMS and intermediate shaft bearding and seal. The dealer opens part of the engine to expose that area, puts a tool on it (gauge) and if it fails the test with the gauge, engine comes out, referb goes in, no exceptions! Excessive oil consumption takes a bit more effort, but I has been addressed and engines are swapped as well. They stand behind their product and brand and have no problem notifying owners to have their engines checked at no cost.

I would hope Subaru would do the same.

Deanski

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Highway49,

Let's try not to insult other members, ok? Not a good way to be a new forum member.

As an offside, I have never met a mechanic who would consider a single quart of consumption over 7000 miles to be excessive, or even an issue.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
MAybe I'm spoiled, but the only car I've ever owned that used more than 1 qt of oil during a 3000 mile OCI was my 2007 Impreza. Our current Outback uses no measurable amount of oil with a 5K OCI.

I think the idea that it's okay to have measurable (more than 1 QT) oil lose is okay is nothing but pure BS, especially in a car like NA Subaru...Now maybe a TUrbo car that you are racing hard, that's another story, MAYBE.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
mopartodd;527414[B said:
][/B]

I think the idea that it's okay to have measurable (more than 1 QT) of oil lose is okay is nothing but pure BS, especially in a car like NA Subaru...Now maybe a TUrbo car that you are racing hard, that's another story, MAYBE.
^ This

Any dealer/manufacturer that tried to convince me different would turn me into their worst advertising nightmare

1 - 20 of 24 Posts