Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2010 outback seems to have some electrical gremlins. Our speedometer and odometer have stopped working. Sometimes they will work though. If the speedometer is not working, and you open the moonroof, it will work again.

Another observation is the tpms light is always on.....this was traced by the dealer to a corroded/chewed connector under drivers seat. Its a little hard to swallow the estimated $1500 bill for a body harness repair.

I guess my question is, could it be a bad ground causing the speedometer issue? Or should I look into splicing/bypassing the bad connector? 20151218_120756.jpg 20151218_120813.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
716 Posts
brummy,

The two issues could be related, to the tpms as well. Ground issues can cause all kinds of strange electrical problems that don't make sense under normal circumstances.

That said, I'd be scavenging another 2010 for the last foot of that chewed connector. And I'd be tempted to pull the module it plugs into as well. I sure wouldn't pay the dealership $1500 to replace the whole harness, unless it was visibly burned throughout.

When that was accomplished and car checked out, then I'd try tracing that speedo/odometer issue. You may have more than one rodent area that they tried lunching on (if they were involved. I've been there to the tune of $900 on my diesel dually.) Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2010 outback seems to have some electrical gremlins. Our speedometer and odometer have stopped working. Sometimes they will work though. If the speedometer is not working, and you open the moonroof, it will work again.

Another observation is the tpms light is always on.....this was traced by the dealer to a corroded/chewed connector under drivers seat. Its a little hard to swallow the estimated $1500 bill for a body harness repair.

I guess my question is, could it be a bad ground causing the speedometer issue? Or should I look into splicing/bypassing the bad connector? View attachment 341346 View attachment 341354

I guess my question is, could it be a bad ground causing the speedometer issue? Or should I look into splicing/bypassing the bad connector? View attachment 341346 View attachment 341354

brummy,

The two issues could be related, to the tpms as well. Ground issues can cause all kinds of strange electrical problems that don't make sense under normal circumstances.

That said, I'd be scavenging another 2010 for the last foot of that chewed connector. And I'd be tempted to pull the module it plugs into as well. I sure wouldn't pay the dealership $1500 to replace the whole harness, unless it was visibly burned throughout.

When that was accomplished and car checked out, then I'd try tracing that speedo/odometer issue. You may have more than one rodent area that they tried lunching on (if they were involved. I've been there to the tune of $900 on my diesel dually.) Good luck!
I have the same problem--erratic speedometer and fuel-efficiency gauge. Also, the radio volume varied randomly. Dealer diagnosed water damage from leaking moonroof, which in turn was caused by clogged drains in the moonroof. I never heard of clogged drains, and in fact, I hardly ever open the moonroof anyway. Now I'm just going to hope the harness dries out and it goes back to normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts