Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently replacing a front wheel bearing hub on a 2010 Outback H6. I have gotten all the way to have axle nut loose and I can push back the axle. I am having problems getting to the 4 bolts holding the hub on. The axle is blocking the sockets from getting on the bolt. I have tried all thread drive sizes and extensions. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
Same problem I had on an '07 Legacy. There isn't much room to fit a socket between the CV joint and the hub bolts. I wound up separating the lower ball joint to gain clearance for a socket and a swivel. Hope you're not in the rust belt. For those that are, the hubs can be a challenge. BTW, get a good bearing/hub assembly such as SKF. Cheap white box units lead to disappointment Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
I haven't done what you're doing on a soob. The Impala I did was easy (well, the HBA was, the axle didn't wanna come out of the hub)

is there a a way to modify a tool? I've had to do that a coupla times in the past. Just get one and sacrifice it for the job, still saving money DIYing it.

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
I haven't done what you're doing on a soob. The Impala I did was easy (well, the HBA was, the axle didn't wanna come out of the hub)

is there a a way to modify a tool? I've had to do that a coupla times in the past. Just get one and sacrifice it for the job, still saving money DIYing it.
Back when the earth was young, I worked in a dual GM/Honda dealership. Sealed hub and bearings were just coming into view. If I'm not mistaken, GM bolts from the outside in. They came out easily with a slide hammer, but the axle/hub interface was a real "sticking point." I think Kent-Moore made the puller to remove the axle from the hub.

Honda on the other hand almost never stuck.

I didn't have to modify any tools to do the Legacy. Here in MI, however, heat and impact tools are nearly a necessity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
John,
You should be able to get to those bolts with a short extension and a deepwell impact socket. If you are in an area that uses salt on the roads, you will most likely need an impact wrench to remove the hub bolts. Also, you will probably not be able to get the hub out, even with a slide hammer. I had to press mine out. Be careful with your ball joint boot if you plan to reuse it. If you have to replace the BJ, you may also snap off the pinch bolt (don't use an impact on them). Pretty much everything down there gets rusted into place. I would recommend dousing the area with Kroil, or PB, or whatever you have, and driving it for several days before putting a wrench to anything. When reassembling, make sure to use anti-seize on everything in case you ever have to do it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts