Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's had her 2010 OB for 2yrs with no issues but around Christmas it refused to start. The car has 89k miles, one previous owner, well maintained. there were no trouble codes when it wouldn't start. since it was the holiday break i had it towed to the dealer where, after three attempts, it started. they then did a software update for 'cold starting' and the car functioned fine until mid January when it happened again, the night before i was to leave town. had the car towed back to the dealer who could not duplicate the problem. they suspected the fuel pump but a four day pressure test showed no pressure loss. we crossed fingers and had the pump replaced anyway. two weeks later and the car won't start. after a couple days of sitting and trying it's throwing a P0340. i'm wondering if the cam sensor could have been on it's way out and not throwing a code but not letting it start? any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter's had her 2010 OB for 2yrs with no issues but around Christmas it refused to start. The car has 89k miles, one previous owner, well maintained. there were no trouble codes when it wouldn't start. since it was the holiday break i had it towed to the dealer where, after three attempts, it started. they then did a software update for 'cold starting' and the car functioned fine until mid January when it happened again, the night before i was to leave town. had the car towed back to the dealer who could not duplicate the problem. they suspected the fuel pump but a four day pressure test showed no pressure loss. we crossed fingers and had the pump replaced anyway. two weeks later and the car won't start. after a couple days of sitting and trying it's throwing a P0340. i'm wondering if the cam sensor could have been on it's way out and not throwing a code but not letting it start? any ideas appreciated.
that's correct, it cranks and cranks like it always has but doesn't start, and the problem still exists. last night i replaced the cam sensor with no success and checked the resistance of the wires to the sensor (25 k ohm) but not sure what it should be. battery was very low so even with a booster the starter motor would not run continuously so charged the battery and will try again tonight. hope to get it back to my garage tomorrow to be able to do more methodical troubleshooting.

thanks for responding...any insight greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,763 Posts
did you compare the old and new sensors to each other?

the code seems like it could also be a wiring/ground/connection problem. any chance of rodent damage? has the car had any wrecks? repair work done before the problem began?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to get the car to may garage today and start chasing down the wiring, grounds, etc. P0340 code hasn't returned yet. No accidents, rodents, or recent repairs...problem really just appeared out of nowhere. hope to track it down once i can have all of my tools in front of me. thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check basics, fuel and spark. We had to do the fuel pump in our 2011 outback at 50k. When I pulled out the assembly, the strainer/filter(size of a dollar coin) was completely clogged with debris(terrible filtering system, it's a joke). Battery was an issue for us as well, Subaru upgraded the size(IE higher CCA).
Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts