Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
This is my first Outback and after owning it for just 3 years, I was recently told by the dealer that my transmission needs replacing. It does have a lot of miles for just 3 years, 70k, but this still seem really low for a transmission? Also, they are saying it will cost $8,000 to replace, does that seem right? I know this is a new CVT transmission but this seems a bit steep and early for this type of work?I drive this thing like a baby and 95% of the time we drive on highways, so I'm not putting any particular strain on the car :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,469 Posts
I've only heard of one or two other CVTs failing- the price sounds the same as the other reports.

70k miles sounds quite low- the previous generation of planetary automatics were generally good for triple that.

Ask a lot of questions, get a second opinion from another dealer or indie shop and let corporate HQ know about it as well.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I've only heard of one or two other CVTs failing- the price sounds the same as the other reports.

70k miles sounds quite low- the previous generation of planetary automatics were generally good for triple that.

Ask a lot of questions, get a second opinion from another dealer or indie shop and let corporate HQ know about it as well.
Contact Subaru directly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't talk to the dealer anymore till you have filed a ticket with Subaru directly through their website!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this were me and all proper care and use were easily documented I would be asking Subaru to step up and handle it with a loaner car. Screw the warranty numbers Subaru has stepped up in unacceptable failures like this regardless of warranty status.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
538 Posts
Contact Subaru directly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't talk to the dealer anymore till you have filed a ticket with Subaru directly through their website!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this were me and all proper care and use were easily documented I would be asking Subaru to step up and handle it with a loaner car. Screw the warranty numbers Subaru has stepped up in unacceptable failures like this regardless of warranty status.
I am sorry to hear about CVT.

Good Luck in talking to Subaru. They seem to put inferior parts in their newer cars and they will say that this kind of failure is normal. I had a similar experience, and, all Subaru said was that you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I am sorry to hear about CVT.

Good Luck in talking to Subaru. They seem to put inferior parts in their newer cars and they will say that this kind of failure is normal. I had a similar experience, and, all Subaru said was that you are out of warranty.
I've seen Subaru step up several times for odd failures out of warranty CALL them now!
Be nice - if you have several Subarus in your family make sure they know this.

My family use to have nearly 20Fords now we have one old piece of junk beater Ford all because Ford took the screw you road with a few of us. Subaru is much smaller and considers this to be a big issue for them and they will make things right when its clear that the car wasn't trashed and beat to **** and simply had a faulty part and failure that shouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen Subaru step up several times for odd failures out of warranty CALL them now!
Be nice - if you have several Subarus in your family make sure they know this.

My family use to have nearly 20Fords now we have one old piece of junk beater Ford all because Ford took the screw you road with a few of us. Subaru is much smaller and considers this to be a big issue for them and they will make things right when its clear that the car wasn't trashed and beat to **** and simply had a faulty part and failure that shouldn't have happened.
Thank you for the replies! I took the Outback to another dealer one town over this morning and they say they can't find anything wrong with the transmission. I have also called Subaru directly to see if they could do something as well and they gave me a case #, so I guess someone is looking into my history. I've taken it in only to the dealer for work at every scheduled maintenance so everything should be documented with them. But, I'm now in a bit of a pickle since I have to conflicting diagnosis from two Subaru dealerships... Guess it's time to find a third? Thank you again everyone!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Thank you for the replies! I took the Outback to another dealer one town over this morning and they say they can't find anything wrong with the transmission. I have also called Subaru directly to see if they could do something as well and they gave me a case #, so I guess someone is looking into my history. I've taken it in only to the dealer for work at every scheduled maintenance so everything should be documented with them. But, I'm now in a bit of a pickle since I have to conflicting diagnosis from two Subaru dealerships... Guess it's time to find a third? Thank you again everyone!
Well if you can drive it I don't see it being as dramatic as a CVT replacement. The CVT's that broke - Broke! LOL - a very small number had front diff leaks which Subaru simply replaced the whole thing and probably took the old one in for review etc.

What makes you think that you have a problem?

Keep in mind that dealers if they think they can make big money will almost always go that route even if its not in the best interest for the customers wallet.

Since you have a ticket number with Subaru directly then your in good hands. Mother Subaru shines a light on what the dealers are doing and Subaru has area Reps who then review the cars situation and the dealers skill set in dealing with what might or might not need to be done etc.

Not all dealers have the skill set needed to do much beyond simple fixes in their shop. Many people would be surprised to know this. ;-) -- report back on how it goes. Best of luck and don't worry too much till Subaru starts sounding like they won't help. Though I highly HIGHLY doubt Subaru will do that given my experience with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if you can drive it I don't see it being as dramatic as a CVT replacement. The CVT's that broke - Broke! LOL - a very small number had front diff leaks which Subaru simply replaced the whole thing and probably took the old one in for review etc.

What makes you think that you have a problem?

Keep in mind that dealers if they think they can make big money will almost always go that route even if its not in the best interest for the customers wallet.

Since you have a ticket number with Subaru directly then your in good hands. Mother Subaru shines a light on what the dealers are doing and Subaru has area Reps who then review the cars situation and the dealers skill set in dealing with what might or might not need to be done etc.

Not all dealers have the skill set needed to do much beyond simple fixes in their shop. Many people would be surprised to know this. ;-) -- report back on how it goes. Best of luck and don't worry too much till Subaru starts sounding like they won't help. Though I highly HIGHLY doubt Subaru will do that given my experience with them.
Good to hear that Subaru itself takes care of situations like this! I originally went in because I was hearing a bit of road noise coming from my front right tire and thought it was perhaps a bearing going bad or a defective tire (had new tires put on recently) It's a very minor noise, my wife doesn't even notice it, but I've had bearings go on other cars of mine and it sounded like what I was hearing. I'll keep you posted, I'm going to a third dealership in the morning :)

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Good to hear that Subaru itself takes care of situations like this! I originally went in because I was hearing a bit of road noise coming from my front right tire and thought it was perhaps a bearing going bad or a defective tire (had new tires put on recently) It's a very minor noise, my wife doesn't even notice it, but I've had bearings go on other cars of mine and it sounded like what I was hearing. I'll keep you posted, I'm going to a third dealership in the morning :)
I think I read someone with a 2010 high miles replaced a front wheel bearing recently. That would be my guess if you do have an issue. Transmission failure sounds like a steaming pile of "I have a bridge to sell you" Service department.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts