Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly @ 3 years and 38k miles, the battery failed on my Limited. Anyone else have this problem? I am trading it in in the next couple of weeks (have 2013 with SAP on order and waiting for it to come int) - Grrrr.

Lights worked; however, would not start. Used the Emergency Assistance; however, they started the car and advised to let it run ~40 minutes. That lasted for one start the next morning and then click..click..click when trying to start the car at the Supermarket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No issues, but I don't think it is out of the question for this to be a "normal repair". Does the car sit for days at a time without it being driven? I always use a battery tender on my cars (many of them are rarely driven) to ensure that the battery stays charged.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues, but I don't think it is out of the question for this to be a "normal repair". Does the car sit for days at a time without it being driven? I always use a battery tender on my cars (many of them are rarely driven) to ensure that the battery stays charged.
Mostly driven every day. Sometimes on a Saturday, it stays in the garage.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just bad luck I think. 36+ months on a battery is reasonable for OEM stock. It's the cheapest they can install.

Suck it up and try to find a used battery.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just bad luck I think. 36+ months on a battery is reasonable for OEM stock. It's the cheapest they can install.

Suck it up and try to find a used battery.
Nope, went with a new one. Don't want to pass any of my problems to the next owner; after all, that's what I would have expected if I bought the car after the trade-in.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Battery life has lots of factors! One battery failing after 3yrs would be zero worry or concern. Two batteries failing in the same car in less than three years of life for each battery then I would be worried.

A battery can be damaged before you even get the new car if the dealer ran it flat and let it sit on the lot for a period of time dead. This will shorten a lead acid battery's life in a big way!

High temps and cold temps paired with a couple of cases where the owner ran the battery flat will also lead to a short battery life.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battery life has lots of factors! One battery failing after 3yrs would be zero worry or concern. Two batteries failing in the same car in less than three years of life for each battery then I would be worried.

A battery can be damaged before you even get the new car if the dealer ran it flat and let it sit on the lot for a period of time dead. This will shorten a lead acid battery's life in a big way!

High temps and cold temps paired with a couple of cases where the owner ran the battery flat will also lead to a short battery life.
New car special ordered. Came in on a Thursday, they PDI'd it and I picked it up on Saturday. Don't believe that the battery had ever been run "flat".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Machinery fails; this includes batteries. With something like this, it's impossible to predict when- I saw a chart that showed how batteries fail sooner when you get further south, and also when you go far enough north...the best battery life is in the middle. Most mass produced machinery has something called MTBF, or Mean Time Between Failure. Think of your standard bell curve. In the middle is the average. The battery in the OP was toward the low end. The OEM battery in my truck was toward the high end- lasted almost 9 years. There's another thread in this forum where a guy with a '12 Outback had the engine lunch itself at 15K miles....it's on that left end of the bell curve. It happens.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
New car special ordered. Came in on a Thursday, they PDI'd it and I picked it up on Saturday. Don't believe that the battery had ever been run "flat".
If a set of clumsy hands dropped it at the warehouse they probably killed it before it went into the car.

Like I said out of how many millions of batteries built you get one that only lasts 3yrs - which in many places would be considered fairly standard life for a battery - not a big deal

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just had to replace the battery in my LGT and was getting an odd situation. No starter at all, but everything else had good power. Asked the dealer and they pointed me to the battery. They said that 3 years is average for the panasonic batteries that SOA uses (atleast out here in teh Santa Cruz, Ca area). They were astounded that I have had the OEM battery in the LGT for 6. Went to costco and all is good ;), $60 later.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing more to worry about. Replaced it for $64 and tonight I'll be picking up my 2013 OB Ltd with the SAP and other goodies. Just bad timing and in my opinion short life for the battery. Oh well, life goes on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
catric69
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing