Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 2022 BWA
1,355 Posts
If the malfunction is caused by poor contact in the ignition switch, then everything fed through the "accessory" circuits should lose power when it occurs, including front and rear wipers and washers. Is that what actually took place? I just had the same thing happen yesterday, and turning the key did correct the situation. Might replace the switch just in case. It looks simple enough and does not involve separating the lock assembly from the steering column.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Make sure your recalls were done! Some 2010's had a faulty wiring harness in the steering column and also had a faulty window wiper motor both can cause very odd electrical issues if not taken care of. My 2010 Legacy had the steering column wiring harness recall and my 2010 OB managed to miss both recalls. Different parts supplier and wasn't part of the recall.

Check the battery cables we had one cable with heavy corrosion under the cover about 10inches down the wire from the battery and was also causing issues very much like this.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 2022 BWA
1,355 Posts
Following up: I replaced the ignition switch on my 2006 Tribeca, which acted up one time in the same manner as experienced by Ignatius. The part is shared with 2005-2007 Legacy & Outback models, but it could be that all plastic-bodied (post-2004) ignition switches are prone the problem. A similar condition, with ignition switch pointed at as the culprit, was also reported on Forester forums (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ins-ignition-switch-fault-469370/#post4873378). The problem seems to be with the switch intermittently failing to make a positive contact in the accessory circuit when returning, under sprig action, from "START" to "ON". Note that the spring is contained in the electrical switch and not in the lock assembly. Thus replacing the switch gives you both new contacts and a new return spring. I operated the old switch with a screwdriver and the spring did feel strong (not broken), but the movement was not smooth. The "clicks" in detent positions also felt not as positive as with the new switch. Perhaps worn contacts and not the spring were the root cause, however both will be new if you replace the switch. It was unexpected that the switch showed noticeable signs of wear at only 73K miles. I didn't take it apart though to see how bad it really was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is old, but it helped me diagnose what was wrong with my grandparents 09 Outback. Replaced the 20A fuse in engine compartment and all is well now.

Fuse replaced was #9 for the back up light.

diagramsttps://www.autogenius.info/subaru-outback-2009-fuse-box-diagram-2/

21 - 24 of 24 Posts