Subaru Outback Forums banner

2010 Outback reliability and durability

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  elliott686 
#1 ·
Hi –
I am a new member and new owner. I have a couple of questions for those who have longer experience with Subaru. The reviews I have read seem very positive, but I am interested in ‘real world’ experience.

1) How reliable is the 2.5 Outback? I have had Honda’s and Toyota’s in the past which were extremely reliable – How does the Subie compare? Would you feel comfortable taking it on a cross-country road trip?

2) How durable is the Outback? I am refering to how strong the suspension, AWD system, etc… How would it hold up long-term over the rough and pot-hole filled roads of many winter states?

Thanks,

Tom

#2 ·
1) If the new OB is anything like previous Subaru's, reliability is not an issue. We have 4 Subies left in our stable after selling our 95 Legacy and reliability is super. I would take any of them on a cross country road trip. I would prefer to take the new OB though, because it is the most comfortable to drive for me. It is not as much fun as the 03 Baja or the 03 WRX, but I take my fun in small doses these days. ;-)

2) Again the Subaru heritage, especially for AWD, is bulletproof. I can't speak for suspension components in conditions you describe, however I have seen them take a lot of abuse in road racing.

#3 ·
Your question is difficult to answer. The 2010 Outback is an entirely new vehicle, however based upon previous Subaru experience I would rate them as above average for durability. My 03 Outback has lived in Chicago its' entire life and has held up well, other than more undercarriage rust than I would like, but salt is crazy here in the winter and as far as the service records go it has never had more rust-proofing done. Still on original shocks and struts at 80k miles, takes Chicago pothole punishment in stride (although I have never had to get alignments faster than I do now that I'm living here).

Our 2003 have made a trip from Chicago to east TN (approx 1500 mile roundtrip) several times, decent interstate cruiser. I wish for more horsepower, my wife does not.

#4 ·
My last toyota that I owned 2.5 years had ZERO repairs.

My new subaru that I have owned 3 weeks has had 3 repairs. SUBARU is CRAP if you ask me. SOA hung up on me and when I called back for a supervisor and held for 28 minutes I was told none was available. When I asked that one call me today none did.

How do you like that huh?

#5 ·
I bought my first Subaru, a 2.5 liter model, in 1997, and it proved to be the most reliable and most durable car that I ever owned. It was superior to everything else that preceded it, including a Honda Accord, a Ford Taurus, a VW Karmann Ghia, a Chevy Citation, a Dodge, and it was light years better than the worst car that I ever owned, a Volvo 240.

During the 5 years that I owned my '97 Outback, it needed only one repair--an alternator that failed at around 97k miles. Despite the fact that the car was out of warranty by that time, SOA provided a new alternator free of charge. So, my 5 years of ownership resulted in payment for only maintenance. No repair costs whatsoever.

The '97 Outback was so good, and the dealership treated me so well, that I bought a second Outback in '02. My brother bought the '97 model from me, and he soon found that it was more reliable than his other car, a '96 Camry.

He kept that '97 Outback for 6 years, and in that period of time it needed only two repairs--the dreaded head gasket replacement, and the replacement of a lower suspension arm. The head gasket job was done at ~110,000 miles, and the lower suspension arm was replaced at around 135k miles. SOA went "halfsies" on the head gasket replacement, so his total repair expenditures over those 6 years were actually far less than what he spent to keep his Camry going.

My '02 Outback currently has 101k+ miles on the odometer. The only repair that it has needed in 8 years is replacement of the tensioner and the idler pulley for the serpentine belt. No other repairs. Only maintenance expenses.

As a result of my extremely postive experience over a period of 13 years, with two Subarus, I will shortly order my third Outback. When I bought my second Outback, this marked the first time in my life that I had bought any make of car twice. I would not have bought the second Subaru if my first one had not been so reliable and so durable. And, needless to say, I would not be planning on buying my third Subaru if my experiences with the second one had not been so exceptional.

All of this being said, I have to point out that very good maintenance played at least some part in this stellar record of reliability/durability. Subaru owners who are slipshod with maintenance, and especially those who are careless by not running the car with matched tires, are not likely to do anywhere nearly as well as I have done with my cars. If you maintain them properly, and if you heed the cautions in the Owner's Manual regarding tires, you should be able to do as well as I have--and that is pretty darn good.

#7 ·
Despite some growing pains from a completely new generation design, I find it to be a well built vehicle.
I have taken two road trips so far, one 2k and one 6k with
no problems. Of course you are always going to hear from naysayers on any internet site as well as "defenders of the brand" types like myself, so don't let me or anyone else sway you here, just take in the positive and negative and make your own decision. :29:

#8 ·
Like Problemchild, my previous 2-3 cars never had a single issue. My new Outback has had (and currently still has) several in only 1500 miles.

That being said, none of those issues are mechanical. I would not hesitate to take the OB (or any other modern car for that matter) on a cross country trip.

Still enjoy the car, just not that impressed with attention to detail (or lack thereof) on small items. A new car shouldn't clank, creak, squeal and rattle as much as this one does.

#9 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I have to give my input. I bought my 2010 Outback 2.5 Limited CVT IN 2009 as a replacement for a 2009 Forester that my wife thought she wanted.

After 7 years and 338,000 miles it was totaled by a 1400 lb. cow on a dark country road. Ran flawlessly and without issues up to that point and after the crash the engine was still running. Anyway onto maintenance and reliability.

The 2010 Outback was one of the most reliable and trouble-free of all the cars I have ever owned.
At 338,000 miles she was performing flawlessly. Never had it into the shop one time for an unscheduled repair or parts failure. Never a CE light.

In the seven years I owned it, most of the miles were highway miles around 60,000 a year. Always at the dealer for scheduled maintenance. Replaced parts at mileage intervals, not condition

Synthetic oil changes every 7,500 miles = 45 oil and filter changes and Lubegard Bio-Tech Engine Protectant.

Tires were replaced every 45,000 miles = 6 replacement sets

Brake service and pad replacement every 50,000 = 5 sets front/rear brake pads.

Front rotors replaced at last brake service (300,000 miles).
Never needed turning. Rear rotors were original and never turned

One CVT fluid exchange at 150,000 miles and perfect. Dealer said another one was not necessary.

3 timing belt replacements, only 1 water pump as a precaution (not a failure)

Spark plugs changed at every timing belt change

Air filter changed every 30,000 miles
. =10 air filters

1 battery replacement at 5 years (Optima Red Top)

Only unscheduled replacement part was a driver's side front CV axle.
Didn't fail, but got a cut in the boot and all the grease came out.

Wheel bearings were fine.
Suspension/struts were fine.
Super Coolant was replaced once at 100,000 miles.
A/C system never needed to be serviced.

#13 ·
I have a 2011 Outback 2.5 with 180k, and I am hoping for as good of a run as SVXCESS had with his 2010 OB. I'm in the process of replacing my L-Rear bearing, and it is kicking my butt. Since it is an Ohio car, the bearing was welded in the hub, so I had to remove the spindle, but then found the UCA also froze inside the top of the spindle, and then the front lateral link was frozen (rust welded) into it's attachment point at the subframe {see where I'm going with this}. Good news, I have everything disassembled and I'm in the process of putting it all back together (lots of PB, hammering, MAP, HubBuster). I will say this though, once I finally got that freaking hub busted out of the spindle, it appears to be the ORIGINAL ; not bad for 9 years and 180k miles in Ohio winters. This is why I'm all about OEM parts. I'm praying I won't have another one go out until at least next year, my body needs to recover !!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.